Today’s recipe is in honor of my little sister Jessie. To this day, whenever we eat Chinese food, she almost always orders Beef and Broccoli. I will always think of her when I create this tasty meal. If you are looking for a quick week-night dinner that can stretch a 4 oz serving of protein, I highly suggest a stir-fry. Full of flavor and nutrients, this one pot dish is the perfect way to incorporate any variety of vegetables with any protein you wish. Let the season guide your choice of vegetable. Shrimp on sale that week? Go for it! This recipe is more about the method than the specific ingredients.
The key to Asian flavors is the four S’s: Spicy, Salty, Sour, Sweet. This dish is no exception. My marinade has chili garlic paste (spicey), soy sauce (salty), sherry vinegar (sour) and brown sugar (sweet). And of course, there is plenty of fresh garlic and grated ginger – two of my favorite flavor boosters with little to no calories. At my house, we serve stir-fry with brown rice and toasted Nori seaweed sheets. Simply take the seaweed sheets and quickly swipe them across the open flame on the stove. They will toast quickly and make a great little wrap for the stir-fry – almost like using a lettuce cup. Loaded in calcium, iron and iodine, these tasty sheets only cost you 10 calories a sheet. They also contain lignans which fight cancer. Whether you serve it with brown rice, seaweed sheets or nothing at all – this flavorful dish is sure to be a hit with the entire family.
Your chop sticks are waiting.
Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry
Author: Liz DellaCroce | The Lemon Bowl
- 1 lb flank steak - sliced in 2 inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 tsp chili garlic paste (optional)
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tbs soy sauce - low sodium
- 1 tbs grated fresh ginger
- ¼ c chicken broth - low sodium
- ½ tbs corn starch
- 1 tbs soy sauce - low sodium
- 2 tbs hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp cooking sherry
- 4 c broccoli - chopped
- 1 c onion - chopped
- 2 c red pepper - sliced
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- In a large Zip-loc bag, combine flank steak with marinade (garlic, chili paste, brown sugar, soy sauce and ginger.) Marinate for 30 minutes or longer.
- In a small bowl, wisk together chicken broth, corn starch, soy sauce, hoisin and cooking sherry. Set aside.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add broccoli. Cook for 2 minutes and drain completely.
- Heat a large saute pan or wok to high and spray with non-stick spray.
- Add flank steak and sautee until brown, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add onion, red pepper and garlic. Sautee for 3-4 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Add cooked steak, broccoli and sauce to pan and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Serve with brown rice.
Serving size: 1 Calories: 234 Fat: 6g Saturated fat: 2g Carbohydrates: 22.1g Sodium: 306mg Fiber: 4.7g Protein: 24.7g Cholesterol: 31mg