Cinnamon is in every household and for good reason: ounce for ounce, it contains 5 times the antioxidants as 1/2 cup of blueberries or a cup of pomegranate juice! But don’t limit your cinnamon consumption to your morning bowl of oats. Cinnamon is used all over the world in savory dishes to complement the flavors of meat and vegetables.
Today’s recipe is the perfect cold weather staple that literally comes together in just minutes. Feel free to mix and match the ingredients based on what you have available. When I made this dish, I happened to have gala apples and sweet potatoes but it would work just as well with carrots and parsnips. Just don’t forget the cinnamon.
Your fork is waiting.
- 4 chicken breasts - split, bone-in
- 3 medium sweet potatoes - peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 apples - cut into large chunks
- 1 large onion - cut into large chunks
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp allspice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Meanwhile, line a roasting pan with sweet potatoes, apples and onion.
- Place chicken breasts on top and drizzle with olive oil.
- Season everything evenly with all spices including salt and pepper. Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty to ensure food is evenly coated.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes or until juices run clear in the chicken.