PF Chang’s recently opened a restaurant in my town and you would think they were handing out free face lifts based on the lines running out the door day in and day out. Having lived in Boston for many years, I am no stranger to this tasty, Chinese-American fusion restaurant. Will I wait in line for 2 hours to eat there? No. Would I turn down a chicken lettuce cup any day of the week? Negative.
We have been making various versions of the infamous PF Chang’s chicken lettuce cups at our house for years. Not only does it save me half a lifetime of waiting in line but it also saves me hundreds of calories. (If you’re curious about the nutritional info, click here.) By making these at home, you can control the sodium, fat and quality of ingredients.
Is your garden overflowing with zucchini? This recipe is a great new use for Summer squash. Shrimp on sale this week? Throw it in! Hate spicy food? Leave out the chili garlic paste. Make it yours. No reservation required.
Your fork is waiting.
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: 1
- Calories: 147
- Fat: 3.2g
- Saturated fat: .5g
- Carbohydrates: 26.2g
- Sodium: 302mg
- Fiber: 5.4g
- Protein: 5.2g
- 1 head iceberg lettuce – leaves separated
- 2 tbs ginger – minced
- 3 cloves garlic – grated
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 3 tbs soy sauce – low sodium
- 2 tbs hoisin sauce
- 2 tbs rice vinegar
- 2 tsp chili garlic paste -optional
- 1 onion – diced
- 1 zucchini – diced
- 1 red pepper – diced
- 1 c green peas – fresh or frozen
- 4 shitake mushrooms – sliced
- 8 oz can water chestnuts – diced
- 8 oz can bamboo shoots – sliced
- 4 scallions – minced
- In a small bowl, whisk together sauce: ginger, garlic, sesame oil, soy, hoisin, rice vinegar, chili garlic paste; set aside.
- Heat a wok or large, deep pan over medium high and spray with non-stick spray.
- Add onions with a pinch of kosher salt (to release juices) and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add zucchini and red pepper; continue sauteing for 3 minutes until veggies have softened.
- Add green peas (defrosted if using frozen) and mushrooms; cook additional 2 minutes.
- Pour in reserved sauce, chestnuts and bamboo shoots. Bring to a boil then simmer for 2 minutes to let flavors develop.
- Serve in lettuce cups with scallions on top. Don’t forget the sriracha!