Brown Rice Greek Salad

It is hard to believe that a year ago today, I was in the hospital getting ready to have my first baby!  Tomorrow my son turns one and I honestly can’t believe it.  Everyone warned me it would fly by and I knew it would as well.  The first year is such a crazy blurr of desperately trying to sleep, shower and wear clean clothes that before you know it: he’s headed to preschool!

Needless to say, we are celebrating BIG this weekend! In honor of the cake, ice cream and celebratory beer for Mommy and Daddy, I am sharing one of my favorite “back on track” recipes. Or, as I like to call it “back in the salad.”

Greek salad and all of it’s salty, crunchy, creamy, briny goodness is one of my go-to favorite ways to serve whole grains.  I’ve done it before and I’m doing it again, my friends.

In the meantime, I have a little boy to snuggle.

Brown Rice Greek Salad with Roasted Tomatoes

• Serving size: 1 cup
  • Fat: 8.6
  • Saturated fat: 1.9
  • Unsaturated fat: 6.2
  • Carbohydrates: 31
  • Sugar: 3.5
  • Fiber: 6
  • Protein: 8.6
  • Cholesterol: 5
Recipe type: Side
Cuisine: Greek
Cook time:
Brown rice is given a Greek twist with roasted cherry tomatoes, crunchy cucumbers, creamy feta and kalamata olives.
  • 1 c brown rice - prepared
  • 1 c chickpeas - drained and rinsed
  • 1 c cherry tomatoes - roasted or fresh (see below for directions on roasting)
  • 1 c cucumber - diced
  • ½ c scallions - minced
  • ½ c corn - fresh, frozen, leftover grilled, etc.
  • ¼ c feta cheese - crumbled
  • ½ c kalamata olives
  • Zest and juice of one lemon
  • 1 tbs olive oil
  • 1 tbs dried oregano
  • 1 tbs dried mint
  • 2 garlic cloves - grated
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  1. To roast cherry tomatoes, pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking pan with an even layer of tomatoes and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes; let cool.
  2. In a medium bowl, combine brown rice with tomatoes, chickpeas, cucumber, scallions, corn, feta and olives.
  3. Stir in lemon juice, zest, olive oil, oregano, mint, garlic, salt and pepper.
  4. Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly.

Comments

Greek salad is one of my favorite things, and it sounds amazing in the form of a grain salad. Love the chickpeas in the salad too. Have fun celebrating your son’s first birthday!

This is seriously delish ! Looking for interesting ways to spruce up brown rice & this looks so wholesome & fresh ! Oooh the pic of you and your little man is too cute :) Happy birthday !!

First, happy birthday to your little man :) He is such a cutie!! I hope you all have a great celebration.

You salad, gorgeous! It looks rich, delicious and packed with a healthy punch – - sounds wonderful to me.

This variation of Greek salad really intrigues me. As a Greek myself, we have greek salad at almost every meal of ours, so kalamata olives and feta cheese are ingredients always stored in the refrigerator. So this would be a nice delicious addition to change things up a little bit! Will certainly try that!

5. Kelly says

I’m guessing the chickpeas, and everything on the list after ‘olives’, are to be added to the rice/salad, too? Ingredients listed but no further mention in instructions.

Hi Kelly- I apologize for that- I’m not sure what happened but I must have lost my mind! Recipe has been revised. Let me know if you have any other questions and I hope you enjoy the salad!

6. Sandi says

I really love your recipes and how your site is designed. Very colorful and easy to navigate. Love your rules for cooking chicken breasts..will follow them! This salad looks delicious and healthy.

7. Nina says

This was so delicious! Made it exactly as written and it was perfect. So much flavor. Enjoyed it along with some pita bread and hummus. My taste buds are still singing.

8. Ruth says

this is so good. I’ve made it 3 times already and have given the recipe out to quite a few of my friends. Thank you so much.

How well does this salad keep? If I make it on Sunday, will it keep through the week that I could take it every day for lunch?

10. Jane says

Hi Liz. I found this Brown Rice Greek salad recipe on PINTEREST and I’ve already added the ingredients to my grocery list. I plan on making this real soon, looks delish.
    My question is about the rice. Did you start with 1 cup of uncooked rice? as this will double when cooked?
    Also, Happy Birthday to your little man. He is adorable!

Hi Jane – Great question! I actually only used 1 cup of cooked brown rice (which was 1/2 cup uncooked.) By the time you add all of the vegetables, beans and other items it bulks up to over 4 cups which is the reason for the 1 cup serving. Of course, feel free to add more rice if you wish!! Thank you so much for the birthday wishes – that is sweet of you!! :)

11. Jane says

Hey Liz, thanks for such a prompt response. Since we know that rice and pasta quantities will double when cooked, I didn’t want the rice to take over the recipe. I love brown rice but I will follow your recipe and I know it will be great!

12. Liz says

Just found your blog and this is the first page I’ve seen. This salad sounds TERRIFIC!
    Off to read more. Thanks so much.