Roasting garlic is, hands-down, one of the easiest and most affordable ways to elevate home-cooked food to restaurant quality. If you’ve never roasted your own garlic, you’ll be amazed (and thrilled) to learn that the process is as easy as 1-2-3:
- Using a sharp knife, slice 1/4 inch off the top of a whole head of garlic to expose the individual cloves. (Hint: Find the root of the bulb and cut off the opposite end of the head. Similar to chopping an onion, always leave the root in-tact.)
- Place on large square of foil and drizzle with olive oil and pinch of salt and pepper.
- Wrap foil tightly around the garlic head and throw in a 400 degree oven for 45 minutes.
End result? Soft and creamy cloves of perfection that add a sweet and mild garlic flavor to anything from pastas to pizzas to sandwiches and more. Of course, it wouldn’t be The Lemon Bowl if I didn’t turn it into a salad. Brightly flavored lemon juice and spicy dijon mustard pair perfectly with the rich and nutty roasted garlic.
Drizzle on mixed greens and wait for your family to give you a round of applause. It’s everything you expect from a restaurant, no reservation required.
Your fork is waiting.
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: 2 tbs
- Calories: 85
- Fat: 7.9 g
- Saturated fat: 1 g
- Unsaturated fat: 6.9 g
- Trans fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 3 g
- Sugar: .4 g
- Sodium: 656 mg
- Fiber: .1 g
- Protein: .1 g
- Cholesterol: 0
- 8 whole garlic cloves (skin on)
- ¼ c lemon juice
- 2 tbs + 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbs dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place whole garlic cloves on top of a 12 x 12 square of tin foil and drizzle with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Wrap foil around the garlic tightly and roast in oven for 45 minutes; let cool.
- In a small mason jar or bowl, combine lemon juice, 2 tbs olive oil, dijon mustard, salt and pepper. Shake or whisk until emulsified.
- When garlic is cool enough to handle, gently out of skin and mash with a fork.
- Add mashed garlic to the vinaigrette and shake, shake, shake until smooth.