Whole wheat pumpkin apple muffins are delicious, moist and full of protein and fiber.
Three cheers for Fall! Apples are a big deal here in Michigan. In fact, my house is within just a few miles of countless apple farms. Sweet, tart, sour, crisp, juicy… you name it, we eat it. These little gems started popping started popping up at my farmer’s market in early August and each week brings more varieties as the season progresses.
We all know an apple a day keeps the doctor away, but do you know why?
- Rich in Antioxidants: Apples contain a high level of polyphenols which function as antioxidants. Specifically, they help decrease oxidation of cell membrane fats.
- Promote Cardio Vascular Health: Oxidation of fat in the membrane cells is the primary reason for clogged arteries. More polyphenols = less oxidation = less clogged arteries.
- Blood Sugar Regulation: Polyphenols in apples help slow down digestion, reduce glucose absorption and regular blood sugar levels.
- Reduce the risk of colon, lung and breast cancer due to the anti inflammatory benefits.
See…now you can have 3 muffins without feeling guilty.
Your family is waiting.
- 1¼ c all-purpose flour
- ½ c whole wheat flour
- 3 tbs toasted wheat germ
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- ⅛ tsp all spice
- ½ salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- ¾ c plain fat-free yogurt
- 1 c canned pumpkin
- ⅓ c natural applesauce
- ¼ c packed brown sugar plus 2 tbs for topping
- 2 tbs canola oil
- 1 c chopped apple
- 2 tbs flax seed
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees and line muffin pan with paper cups.
- In a large bowl, sift together regular and wheat flour, wheat germ, spices, baking powder, baking soda and salt - set aside.
- In a medium bowl, wisk eggs, pumpkin, yogurt, applesauce, brown sugar and oil.
- Add pumpkin mixture to dry ingredients and stir until moistened.
- Add apples and flax seed and stir again.
- Divide evenly into pre-lined muffin cups. Sprinkle each muffin with a little brown sugar using the remaining 2 tbs.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clear. Cool completely before serving.