I am embarrassingly excited about the fact that these Pumpkin Spice Baked Donuts were made without any oil, butter or white sugar. Not only are they moist, fluffy and delicious but they are also packed with protein, nutrients and fiber.
Admittedly, I am not a fan of traditional fried donuts (shocker) but I was eager to come up with a baked version that tastes like a naughty donut but is secretly a nutritious breakfast.
Mission accomplished thanks to luscious pumpkin, creamy yogurt and just enough cinnamon and sugar to make you feel all warm and happy inside.
The fact that my 15 month old son can feed this to himself is an added bonus.
Cassie, I hope I made you proud! xoxo
- Serves: 18
- Serving size: 1 donut
- Calories: 122
- Fat: 3.5 g
- Saturated fat: .5 g
- Unsaturated fat: 3 g
- Trans fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 19.8 g
- Sugar: 7.7 g
- Sodium: 152 mg
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 20 mg
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or white whole wheat flour)
- 1 cup oats
- ¼ cup toasted wheat germ (plus 2 tablespoons for coating)
- ¼ cup brown sugar - packed (plus 2 tablespoons for coating)
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (plus 1 teaspoon for coating)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pure pumpkin
- 1 ripe banana - mashed
- ¾ cup plain low fat yogurt
- ½ cup apple sauce - unsweetened
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup walnuts - chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and spray a donut pan with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients except the chopped nuts: whole wheat pastry flour, oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, flax seed meal, baking soda, salt, spices; set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together wet ingredients: mashed banana, apple sauce, eggs, yogurt, pumpkin, molasses and vanilla.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until just combined.
- Gently fold the chopped walnuts into the mixture.
- Using a large ice cream scoop, carefully divide mixture evenly among several donut pans or muffin tins if you do not have a donut pan. (See NOTE below if baking muffins.)
- Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- While donuts are baking, combine 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of toasted wheat germ and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon in a small bowl for coating the donuts when they are warm.
- After donuts have cooled for 10 minutes but are still slightly warm, carefully dip both sides into the cinnamon sugar mixture until evenly coated; let cool completely or serve warm.