Hearty beef and black beans gets a smoky kick from toasted cumin, chipotles in adobo and cinnamon stick to create this easy and crowd pleasing chili.
Do you love chili as much as I do? Smoky, sweet and bursting with flavor, chili is a healthy and protein-packed dinner in a bowl. If you’re throwing a party, chili is the perfect dish because not only can it be made the day before – it actually tastes better the next day!
Want to get even more ahead of the game? Make a batch and pop it in the freezer. Boom.
The secret to this chili is as simple as throwing a whole cinnamon stick into the pot while it simmers. Warm cinnamon is the perfect balance for the spicy chipotles and toasted cumin. It will be just the thing that will make your guests wonder what you did to make this chili so tasty.
In fact, we served my Sweet and Smoky Turkey Chili for my little man’s first birthday bash. Guests could help themselves and go crazy with over 12 toppings – from avocado to shredded cheese to Baked Corn Tortilla Chips. Easy and effortless entertaining at it’s best! Just what a new mom needs. 😉
Your spoon is waiting.
- 1 lb ground beef - 90% lean
- 1 onion - diced
- 2 garlic cloves - grated
- 2 sweet peppers - diced (red, yellow or orange)
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds - toasted then crushed (or ground cumin)
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo - minced (remove seeds to lower heat level)
- 14 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 14 oz can black beans - drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken broth - low sodium or homemade
- 1 cinnamon stick (or ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon)
- 2 tablespoons barbeque sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- diced avocado, lime wedges and cilantro - optional garnish
- Heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat and spray with non-stick olive oil spray. Add ground beef plus a pinch of salt and pepper then cook until browned using a wooden spoon to break into small pieces.
- When beef is nicely browned, remove from pan and set aside.
- Add diced onion, garlic and peppers into the pan plus another pinch of salt and pepper. Stir in cumin, chili powder, oregano and chipotle pepper. Cook until veggies are softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Pour in chicken broth, diced tomatoes, black beans, barbeque sauce and cinnamon stick using wooden spoon to scrape up the browned bits from bottom of the pan. Bring to boil then simmer on low for 30 minutes.
- Serve with diced avocado, lime wedges and fresh cilantro.
Jeanette’s Healthy Living: Crock Pot Cincinnati Chicken Chili
The Heritage Cook: Gluten-Free Green Chile and Chicken Taco Bowls
The Cultural Dish: Crock-Pot Chili
Big Girls, Small Kitchen: Healthy Chicken Chili With Barley
What’s Gaby Cooking: Smoky Chipotle Chicken Chili
Feed Me Phoebe: Chicken and White Bean Chili
Dishin & Dishes: Lean Mean Game-Day Chili
Devour: 4 Twists on Chili for the Super Bowl
Thursday Night Dinner: 3 Most Favorite Chili Recipes
Mooshu Jenne: Pinto Bean Chili
FN Dish: 7 Chili Recipes for the Big Game