Chewy, nutty gluten free chocolate chip cookies are made with almond flour and oat flour.
Whether you follow a strict gluten free diet or not, these chocolate chip cookies will be a hit with the whole family. Soft and chewy with the perfect salty sweet balance, they satisfy every chocolate chip cookie craving in the book.
The good news? For less than 100 calories a piece, these cookies fit in perfectly with all of those healthy habits we’ve been working hard to maintain. 😉
We are not a gluten free household but I recently discovered a love for baking with almond flour when I created Almond Flour Berry Muffins. The subtle almond flavor is a match made in heaven for chocolate and walnuts.
Tip: Cookies will have a softer consistency than you may be used to when baking with wheat or white flour. Additionally, the batter is thick so I recommend using your fingers to flatten the dough a bit before baking.
One last word of caution: keep an eye out for cookie thieves! They are everywhere!
- 2½ cups almond flour
- 1 cup oats (gluten free)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar - packed
- 4 tablespoons softened butter - unsalted
- ½ cup natural apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped walnuts - optional
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees and line several baking sheets with silicone baking sheets or parchment; set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, puree the oats to create oat flour then place in a medium bowl.
- Whisk together oat flour, almond flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a stand mixer on medium-high speed, cream together butter and sugar until smooth - about 2 minutes. With the mixer on medium, add egg, vanilla and apple sauce. Mix until smooth using a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides as you go.
- Over medium speed, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until all ingredients are incorporated (being careful not to over mix.)
- Remove bowl from stand mixer and stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Using a small cookie scoop or two tablespoons, drop the cookies on to the lined baking sheets being careful not to crowd.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool completely before removing from the baking sheet.
Want more delicious chocolate chip cookie recipes?? Check out these amazing recipes from fellow bloggers helping me celebrate Food Network’s #ComfortFoodFeast!
Big Girls, Small Kitchen: Oatmeal-Chocolate Chip Cookie Breakfast Bars
Jeanette’s Healthy Living: Gluten-Free Chocolate Cranberry Walnut Cookies
What’s Gaby Cooking: Salted Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
The Lemon Bowl: Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
From My Corner of Saratoga: Chocolate Chip Cookies
Napa Farmhouse 1885: New Year’s Resolution Chocolate Chip Cookies
Red or Green?: Tao’s Double-Chocolate Chip Cookies
Made By Michelle: The Best Blondies, Ever
Cooking With Elise: Chocolate Chip Cookies
Sweet Life Bike: Dulce de Leche Chocolate Chip Cookies
Virtually Homemade: Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies
The Cultural Dish: Chocolate Chip Cookie Goodness
Thursday Night Dinner: Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake
Dishin & Dishes: Chocolaty Chocolate Chip Cookies
Daily*Dishin: Chocolate Chip and Candied Bacon Cookies With Pecans
Devour:5 Takes on Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies
FN Dish: The Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie