Is there anything more delicious than the combination of smoky bacon and golden maple syrup? I don’t think so. And, based on my son’s reaction to his breakfast I am pretty sure he agrees. At last count, he devoured 5 or 6 pancakes in 15 minutes.
The trick to this recipe is to cook the bacon in advance and crumble crispy, bite sized pieces directly on top of the pancake batter before flipping. In fact, this is a great technique for other toppings such as blueberries, chocolate chips or raspberries.
Has this pregnancy caused me to crave carbs around the clock and eat like a frat boy? Yes. Is this recipe still healthy? YES! Not only is it packed with fiber and nutrients from the whole wheat flour and flax seeds but it is full of protein, calcium and omega-3′s! So go ahead. Indulge. You deserve it.
Your fork is waiting.
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: 6 pancakes + 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Calories: 446
- Fat: 9.1 g
- Saturated fat: 2.4 g
- Unsaturated fat: 6.7 g
- Trans fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 77 g
- Sugar: 33.1 g
- Sodium: 1128 mg
- Fiber: 7.9 g
- Protein: 14.5 g
- Cholesterol: 114 mg
- 1¾ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cup flax seed meal
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups Stonyfield plain low fat yogurt
- 2 large eggs - whisked with fork
- ½ cup natural applesauce
- ½ cup vanilla almond milk - unsweetened (or any type of milk)
- ½ tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 slices Applegate natural Sunday bacon - cooked and crumbled
- ½ cup pure maple syrup - for serving
- In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: whole wheat pastry flour, flax seed meal, baking powder and salt.
- Add yogurt, eggs, applesauce, almond milk and vanilla extract and stir until well incorporated.
- Pre-heat griddle to medium-high and spray with cooking spray. Add pancake batter ¼ cup at a time. When bubbles begin to form around the edges, sprinkle pancakes with a teaspoon or so of crumbled bacon pieces.
- Flip pancakes and cook another minute or so until browned on the other side. Continue until all of the pancake batter has been used and serve with pure maple syrup.
Disclaimer: I am in an ongoing partnership with Stonyfield who provided me with samples of the Applegate bacon. As always, recipes and opinions are all my own.