Defining Success as a Blogger – Food Blog Forum Recap

View from Room

This past weekend I had the opportunity to attend Food Blog Forum, an intimate food blogging conference of 125 attendees that took place at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort. The photo above is the view from our room. I couldn’t get enough of it!

Floridian Collage - The Lemon BowlWhen the event sold out in just 3 minutes, I was pretty thrilled to have a confirmed ticket. Now that I’ve attended I realize just how lucky I am to have experienced three incredible days of laughter, networking, inspiration and passion.

Aggie and LizHands down, one of the best moments of this trip was to finally meet one of my closest blogging buddies, Aggie of Aggie’s Kitchen. This woman is like my sister. Not only are we both pregnant (she’s just 6 weeks ahead of me!) but we are also in crazy Italian/Jewish/Catholic mixed marriages. Her blog is one of the first I started following many years ago because she makes healthy food that is full of flavor yet made with every day ingredients that my family loves.

Florida MugIt was no surprise that we had immediate chemistry in person and felt like we had been “real life” friends for years. She is also the sweetest person alive and bought me a Florida Starbucks mugs for my collection!! xoxo

Disney Collage - The Lemon BowlReady for some crazy talk? This was my very first time to Disney World!  In fact, it was the first time for every member of the Della Croce family.  I know, I know…it’s absurd. Although I’ve been to Disney Land many times as a kid, Orlando was an entirely different experience. It was so much fun exploring Epcot and Magic Kingdom with my family for the first time. In fact, I love that this conference not only allows families to join but encourages you to bring your whole crew.

Food Blog Forum - The Lemon BowlOne of my favorite sessions during the conference was titled “Defining Success” and was led by Mr. Steamy Kitchen, Jaden’s husband as well as Jaden herself and their two adorable little boys. My favorite line from the event: “Success is rarely the same as being famous or having a lot of money.” Everyone defines success differently but at the end of the day, most of us think of being successful as having freedom and spending time with our family. Bloggers often get caught up in social media statistics, book deals, TV shows, etc. but with all of those come added responsibility and often less time with family and less freedom.  Food for thought.

Mr. Steamy Kitchen also discussed the relationship between our attitude and our successes. His wife Jaden is a very positive, optimistic person. When she sets her mind to do something, she does it the next day. If you are constantly stressing, over-analyzing and drowning in negative thoughts, you are digging yourself into a ditch. Constant thoughts of self doubt, jealousy and anger will not help you grow or develop. What you believe is your reality. Negativity begets negativity. Mind over matter. What you think is what you get.

One bit of advice from Mr. Steamy Kitchen is to surround yourself with people who lift you up and support you. Who are the cheerleaders in your life? Who encourages you? Those are the people to keep by your side. Life is too short for energy suckers – they will only hold you back.

Blogging Friends - The Lemon BowlSpeaking of surrounding yourself with positive people, I feel so lucky to call the women above in these photos my friends. From the top left you have Audra and Aggie. To the right you have Brenda, Leslie, Sommer, Rebecca, Shari, myself and Aggie (the preggos!) sitting. On the bottom left there’s Megan, Joanne and myself and last but not least me and Julie.

Needless to say, this was an experience I’ll never forget. A huge shout out and thank you to the wonderfully talented organizers of the event: Julie, Lindsay, Jaden and Scott, Todd and Diane. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

See you in Asheville in 2014!

Be sure to check out these other great recaps of the event!

Aggie @ Aggie’s Kitchen
Angie @ Big Bear’s Wife
Julie of Table for Two
Caroline @ Chocolate and Carrots
Rachel @ Baked by Rachel
Audra @ The Baker Chick
Karyn @ Pint Sized Baker
Meagan @ A Zesty Bite
Amanda @ Kevin & Amanda
Jenny @ Picky Palate

Comments

I want to cry! I miss you already!! What a great weekend, you made me relive it all over again. Your photos are beautiful, we are all so lucky to have such an amazing community to be a part of. I came away with so much.

xoxoxo

I Know – the photos made me miss it all over again too!!! I can’t wait to see you again… xxoxox

Yes they announced Asheville for 2014 but Aggie said they will still do one in Orlando as well and just have two of them. I’m not sure…they didn’t say much about it!

Thank you Katie!!! I’m glad you got a photo of us – kicking myself for not getting one on my camera!!

Sounds fabulous!! And..I love Asheville. It is one of my favorite places ever. That is exciting it is there. I hope I can try and go.And love the pictures.

It looked like such a fun time from all the photos on IG — so glad you were able to attend (and visit Disney World for the first time… that place is just magical)! Thanks for sharing the notes from the “Defining Success” session; definitely good tips to keep in mind on a daily basis. :)

The sessions were led by bloggers who have been doing this for 10 years and wanted us to learn from their mistakes. It was a great session!!

Dream and a half!! You have the best sayings ever. You were just as amazing as I expected!!! Can’t wait to hang in Austin!!

Great recap, Liz-a-roo! (Yep, I just spontaneously created a new nickname for you.) :) I love that you got to go this year and bring your family. Such a great deal for family AND blogger fun!

Not to get sappy or anything, but you are definitely one of those uplifting and positive blogging friends that I love keeping around. ;)

See you verrrrrry soon in Austin!!! xoxo

The food blogger conference sounds like it was a very uplifting experience. One line that you wrote really stuck out for me, “What you believe is your reality.” So true! Thank you for sharing!

Isn’t that the truth Trisha? I truly believe that! So glad this post resonated with you.

Thanks so much Amanda – it was so great to finally meet you!! Hopefully we’ll have more time to chat next time. :)

Liz,

It was great to meet you this past weekend at FBF! What an incredible time we all had, and so sad it’s all over :( I’ve been excited checking out your blog…I’m into healthy recipes too. Glad you and your family had a great time experiencing Disney for the first time.

As someone who has lived in Florida for 20 years now, and have been raising our 3 girls here….we LOVE Disney and love when others experience the magic for the first time. Our girls are big, big Disney fans! So happy you had fun!!

Best wishes for a continued healthy pregnancy!

Hugs,
    Denise

I was so glad to come across this post while I was reading about your pine nut hummus. As a new for-fun food blogger, I’m thrilled to see such a thriving community out there. I hope to make it to Asheville in 2014!

Oh I’m so glad you enjoyed it Jenna!! Food blogging provides so much joy to me and much of that is due to all of the friends I’ve made along the way!