Ripe banana and plump blueberries are the perfect natural sweetener for these delicious pancakes. Ricotta cheese adds a light and airy texture to keep the pancakes moist and fluffy.
Blueberry season has finally arrived here in Michigan and I couldn’t be more excited!! As the nation’s largest producer of cultivated bluebush blueberries we take this fruit pretty seriously.
Plump, sweet and beautiful – blueberries are not only incredibly delicious but they are one of the most nutritious foods you can buy. Packed in antioxidants and vitamins, blueberries have been proven to help reduce the risk of many cancers, boost heart health, improve cognitive function and much more.
Of course, many plant based foods offer similar health benefits but something tells me it’s easier to get your family to eat a pound of blueberries than a bunch of elephant kale. Here are a few of our favorite ways to enjoy blueberries:
Want more? Check out these delicious blueberry recipes from a few of my favorite food bloggers:
Low Sugar and Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread with Blueberries and Pecans from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Blueberry Breakfast Smoothie from Aggie’s Kitchen
Oatmeal Chia Berry Crisp (Gluten Free) from The Spicy RD
Blueberry Sunrise Muffins from Dine and Dish
Blueberry and Vanilla Overnight Baked French Toast from Everyday Maven
Blueberry Kale Pops from Oh My Veggies
What are your favorite healthy blueberry recipes?? Would love to hear from you.
Your fork is waiting.
- Serves: 22
- Serving size: 1 pancake
- Calories: 92
- Fat: 1.2 g
- Saturated fat: .3 g
- Unsaturated fat: .9 g
- Trans fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 16.4 g
- Sugar: 1.9 g
- Sodium: 178 mg
- Fiber: 1.8 g
- Protein: 4.1 g
- Cholesterol: 18 mg
- 1 ripe banana - mashed
- ¼ cup ricotta cheese - part skim
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups buckwheat pancake mix (or your favorite mix)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ - 2 cups skim milk
- 1 cup blueberries - fresh or frozen
- pure maple syrup to serve - optional
- In a large bowl, whisk together mashed banana, ricotta and two eggs.
- Stir in buckwheat pancake mix, cinnamon and salt then begin adding milk until desired consistency is reached. For thinner pancakes, add all 2 cups of milk.
- Carefully fold in the blueberries then set aside.
- Heat griddle on high and spray with non-stick spray.
- Using a ¼ cup ladle or ice cream scoop, pour pancake batter onto hot griddle. When bubbles begin to form and pancake is golden brown, flip to the other side.
- Serve with maple syrup and fresh blueberries.