Fall has officially arrived which means that if you have school-aged children, they have likely been back to the grind for a few weeks now. Although my little man just turned two and is still several years away from hitting the books, I still have to come up with a nutritious, great tasting lunch every day of the week so I was eager to share my ideas when Blue Diamond Almonds asked me to write about healthy back-to-school lunches.
As a foodie and healthy food blogger, friends, readers and other fellow parents often ask me for new ideas when it comes to packing well-rounded lunches that their children will actually enjoy. As I always say, it doesn’t matter how healthy it is because if it doesn’t taste delicious, they won’t eat it.
The biggest tip I can offer is to challenge yourself to think outside of the “turkey on white with mayo” box and get creative. Believe me, I love a good peanut butter and jelly sandwich as much as the next gal. Unfortunately, it is one big sugar-bomb which means an hour later your little one will have a major energy crash and lose focus.
Instead, try to fill their brown bag (or one of those popular bento boxes!) with a balance of whole grains, protein and fresh produce. Here are a few ideas to get you started. As always, feel free to mix and match components based on what your child loves to eat most!
- Hummus and Veggie Pita Sandwich with carrot sticks.
- Pasta Salad with Tuna and Beans, Blue Diamond Almonds Blueberry Flavored and fresh berries.
Sweet Tooth Lunch Boxes:
- Whole grain waffle spread with all-natural fruit preserves, a side of Whole Natural Blue Diamond Almonds and string cheese.
- Homemade trail mix made with Honey Roasted Blue Diamond Almonds to sprinkle over plain yogurt and an apple.
Gluten Free Lunch Ideas:
- Turkey, cheese and cherry tomato skewers with Blue Diamond Artisan Nut-Thins with Flax Seeds.
- Blue Diamond Artisan Nut-Thins with Sesame Seeds topped with sharp cheddar and salami, carrot sticks and dried apricots.
What have you been packing for school lunches lately? Anything that your kids love in particular? I would love to hear from you.
Disclaimer: Blue Diamond Almonds has compensated me for my time to write this post. As always, all thoughts are 100% my own.