Creamy butternut squash is roasted and pureed with honey, chipotle and smoked paprika to create this easy, healthy and delicious side dish.
Have you started menu planning for the holidays? Don’t worry, me neither. Oh wait, you have? Shoot.
Well, I don’t blame you..between Thanksgiving, Thanksgivukkah, Hanukkah and Christmas, my family does not miss a holiday! Add a new baby into the mix and this season is surely going to be one to remember. Fortunately, I do not have any hosting duties but I almost always bring a dish or three to pass.
Butternut Squash Puree with Honey and Smoked Paprika couldn’t be easier to make and is full of sweet, smoky and slightly-spicy flavors. To save time on the day of the big event, make this dish ahead and simply reheat before guests arrive. If you want, feel free to swap out butternut squash for sweet potatoes or pumpkin. You’re also welcome to dial up or down the spice level by changing the amount of chipotle peppers or adding more honey. Make it your own and enjoy every bite.
With Hanukkah falling over Thanksgiving this year, my friend Stefani thought it would be fun to get a bunch of bloggers together and share our favorite Thanksgivukkah-appropriate recipes for you to make for this once-in-a-lifetime event. Of course, these dishes taste great any day of the year so I encourage you to try all of them!
Your fork is waiting.
- 1 medium butternut squash - peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ tablespoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth - low sodium
- ½ cup plain yogurt - low fat
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees and line baking sheet with foil.
- Place butternut squash cubes, olive oil, smoked paprika, salt and pepper in a medium bowl and toss well to evenly coat the squash.
- Scatter squash cubes evenly on baking sheet and roast until fork tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Add roasted squash, chicken broth, yogurt, butter, honey and chipotle peppers to a large food processor and puree until smooth. Alternatively, you can puree in a large pan using an immersion blender.
- Serve warm and season with additional salt and pepper to taste before serving.