7 Ways to Lose Weight Without Trying

Seven simple steps to help you lose weight and make permanent healthy lifestyle changes.
7 Ways to Lose Weight Without Trying - The Lemon Bowl1. Skip the Sugar and Get More Sleep:
The next time you’re sitting in front of the TV and your sweet tooth kicks in, try getting some shut-eye instead. Chances are your body is craving sugar because it is looking for a cheap and easy energy source. More than likely, you aren’t actually hungry but, rather, you are tired. Go to bed and thank me in the morning. You have nothing to lose other than a few hundred empty calories.

Caramel Macchiato2. Don’t Drink Your Calories: This one is pretty self-explanatory but when you drink your calories they don’t register in your system like food. As a result, it takes a lot more to feel satisfied and you wind up consuming more calories than you realize. I’m looking at you, Caramel Macchiato.

Handful of Berries - The Lemon Bowl3. Eat Fruits and Vegetables with Every Meal: We are usually pretty good about grabbing a salad for lunch or serving green beans with dinner but I challenge you to incorporate fruits or vegetable (or both!) into every meal and snack. They are low calorie, packed with vitamins and full of fiber which takes your body longer to digest thus helping you feel fuller, longer. Additionally, when you’re eating a fruit or vegetable you’re not eating processed white flour so the more they are part of your diet, the less room will be available for empty carbs. Added bonus: try to eat the rainbow every day including dark, leafy greens and vibrant berries.

4. Don’t Be Afraid Speak Up: No one is going to worry about your health more than you. That being said, don’t be afraid to speak up for yourself. If you’re dining out, don’t be embarrassed to ask for a healthier substitution or modification. After 10+ years in the hospitality business I can assure you, restaurants aim to please and these special requests give them the opportunity to “wow” you. Similarly, if you typically meet your friends for drinks or have them over for pizza nights try switching it up. Suggest a non-food activity such as trying out a new kickboxing class together or going for a walk. Instead of going out to eat, get together in the kitchen and cook a healthy meal together. Whatever you do, don’t be afraid to speak up. Likely, they will be glad you did.

Olive Oil5. Quality over Quantity: Deprivation is the surest way to guarantee failure. I love authentic Parmigiano Reggiano, crusty whole grain bread and rich, dark chocolate. By choosing high quality ingredients instead of their cheaper counterparts, you can get away with using less. It takes just a teaspoon or two of a grassy, extra-virgin olive oil to give any dish a decadent flavor vs. a lower quality oil that doesn’t provide the same mouthfeel and richness.

Water6. Increase Water Consumption: For one day, keep track of how much water you consume. The next day, drink 8 ounces more than that. Everyone requires a different amount of water so most experts suggest using potty breaks as a guideline. I hate to say this but the goal is light yellow urine. I’m sorry that you had to read the word urine on a food blog (twice!) but it’s the only way to be sure you’re consuming enough fluids. Water is vital for your body to work properly and drinking enough of it helps ensure that you are eating out of hunger, not thirst. Plus, it keeps your mouth busy throughout the day. If you have trouble drinking plain water, try throwing in lemon slices, cucumber or orange wedges. My family teases me because I literally never leave the house without my Camelbak. Even my two year old has one!

Battling Boredom Eating and Mindless Munching - The Lemon Bowl7. The Apple Test: The next time you reach for a snack, ask yourself this: “Does an apple sound good right now?” If it doesn’t, chances are you are eating out of boredom (or loneliness or sadness), not hunger. To be clear, I am a HUGE fan of snacking. In fact, I wrote an entire post about snacking! However, I believe that when we tune into our body and listen to the signals we will discover that we often eat out of habit, not actual hunger. By simply listening to our body we can easily cut out several hundred calories a day without actually doing anything.

So there you have it friends, my 7 simple steps for losing weight! What simple changes have worked for you in the past? I would love to hear from you.

Giant Disclaimer: I am not a health professional or a doctor. This is not intended to be medical advice or a guarantee that you will lose 50 pounds by spring break. I am simply sharing what has worked for me in the past during my personal weight loss journey in hopes that it can help you reach your healthy living goals.

Comments

These are all great but the apple one is especially true. A coworker a couple years ago told me to ask myself “am I hungry enough to eat an apple?” and if an apple didn’t sound appealing then I most likely wasn’t hungry. That question stood out to me a lot and helped combat unnecessary eating (I also began eating more apples). Also, high quality ingredients all the way. Best of luck for both of us to lose those lbs we want to lose. I’ll be in Mexico in a bathing suit (one piece thank goodness) next week, eek!!!

Yes I can’t recommend the apple trick enough!!! I’m so glad you agree and have heard it from others!! Thank you so much for your sweet words. HAVE FUN IN MEXICO!! I’m so jealous!!!

2. Ron Villa says

Your last comment about losing 50 lbs using these tips is actually very accurate. I changed my eating habits 9 months ago and follow some very similar guidlines. I actually lost 50 lbs and have kept off about 45 – 48 of it since I started. The biggest assist for me was bringing heatlhy snacks and a premade salad for lunch to work every day. When I get hungry I have fruits and veggies and I don’t go to the snack bar or looking for those cookies in the lunch room. Your 7 tips are very easy and you’ll be amazed at how much cheaper it is to stock your fridge with fresh produce and veggies than vs. buying those convenient pre-made dinners.

3. Carol J says

Love your blog and have been following you for several months. I have made several of your recipes with huge success and look forward to more easy, healthy and real food ideas throughout 2014. I’ve increased my fruit and vegetable intake by having one green smoothie a day — had no idea they were that delicious! Congrats on your new addition — he is absolutely adorable! I’m expecting the arrival of two grand-nieces in April!

Congrats to you as well! Thank you so much for your sweet words. I’m so glad you enjoy my blog and my recipes. Keep me posted if you try any new ones in the coming months!! Happy New Year!

Great tips! I especially love the one about speaking up. That’s my biggest issue. I’m always in fear of offending people if they eat processed foods on a regular basis. It’s something I need to work on getting better about (in a polite way, of course).

Trust me – it’s hard for me sometimes, too! But ultimately, no one else will make my health a priority but me so I’ve gotten over it. :) Thank you so much for reading!

LOVE this post and these little ‘changes’ that are so easy to incorporate into your life. It’s true, you don’t really even have to TRY! I had to comment on this b/c of the Camelbak. My friends always make fun of me too. I bring mine with me EVERYWHERE. It’s really a great way to make sure I get enough water and I love the colors and the fun pop-up straw thing. I’m easily amused :) but anyway, you’re totally not alone with being made fun of on the Camelbak! Haha

I LOVE that you are a Camelbak junkie like me!!!! hahaha I am cracking up!! Even Asher carries one around everywhere now – lol. I suppose it’s not the worst trait to pass down. ;) Happy New Year friend!

It is a constant reminder for me as well – especially because I like to have some time without the kids in the evening to relax but of course I could easily go to bed when they do!! :)

I love all of these tips. They’re realistic and healthy as opposed to restrictive. I know sugar is my downfall which is why I’ve cut it out this month. Not out of deprivation but out of love. Your apple tip has been a huge help to me for quite some time!

Um… what?! Number 3 definitely counts as trying. ;) And for me – crying. I’ve gotten to the point that I buy a bag of frozen mixed veggies, cook them, and then puree them. It’s less traumatizing that way. I hate veggies. :’(

But I love the rest of the tips! I gained over 5 pounds in the last 2 weeks of December. Heh. Whoops…

Liz,
    Great tips! I just completed a 4/40 challenge where my nutrition goal was my water intake. I was surprised how quickly it became a habit.

Thank you for these tips, especially the skip the sugar tip. I often get mad sweet cravings late in the evening when I’m watching TV or on my computer. Next time, I’m going to try hitting the hay (I could use more sleep for sure).

Thanks a lot for the tips. I think at the back of our minds we already know these but it helps so much to re-emphasize. Loved your Apple Test. I’m in my office right now and was about to leave for my evening snack break. Because of your post, I might actually have to eat an Apple instead of yummy Indian snacks.