An easy and flavorful slow cooker beef chili with a zesty lime crema for serving.
If you are a regular reader of my blog or follow me on Facebook, chances are you’ve heard me confess a terrible secret: my husband does not eat Mexican food. I know… I. KNOW. Crazy, right? Ironically, I was born in Tucson, Arizona not far from the Mexico border and have been eating authentic Mexican food my entire life.
Since it’s not exactly fun to make tacos for one, I often make a big batch of chili on the weekends to reheat for a quick and healthy lunch all week long. So far, our older son LOVES chili so I’m hoping we will quickly out number my husband and bring back Taco Tuesday.
In the meantime, I’ve teamed up with two of my favorite brands: Muir Glen Organic tomato products and Simply Organic spices & seasonings to share a quick and delicious Slow Cooker Beef Chili with Lime Crema. With a newborn and a toddler home with me all day, I am all about the slow cooker these days.
If you’re never made lime crema before, you will become hooked. It is traditionally made with sour cream but yogurt lightens it up a bit and I promise you won’t miss the added calories.
To save even more time, I used a Simply Organic Chili Mix that did all of the hard work for me! Since my son finishes every meal I eat, I had to stick with mild but there’s a spicy version for all of you heat seekers out there. Lucky for my husband, there is a Sloppy Joe Seasoning Mix so we will be trying that one out next.
If you’re as impatient as I am or need to cool down the dish quickly for little ones, my simple Lime Crema is the perfect chili topping. In fact, my toddler wanted to eat the entire bowl before I could even shoot this photograph. The cool, zesty yogurt is the perfect compliment to the warm and hearty chili.
Speaking of chili toppings, if you head over to the Muir Glen Facebook page they are hosting a Chili Roundup Sweepstakes for a chance to win fun prizes and coupons! For more delicious chili ideas, check out the full list of #ChiliRoundup recipes on the Muir Glen website.
What is your favorite chili topping? Would love to hear from you.
Your spoon is waiting.
- Serves: 8
- Serving size: 8 oz
- Calories: 268
- Fat: 7.1 g
- Saturated fat: 2.9 g
- Unsaturated fat: 4.2 g
- Trans fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 29.4 g
- Sugar: 9.9 g
- Sodium: 813 mg
- Fiber: 5.7 g
- Protein: 19 g
- Cholesterol: 42 mg
- 1 pound ground sirloin (or turkey)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 yellow onion - diced
- 1 diced sweet pepper - orange, red or yellow
- 1 cup corn kernels - fresh or frozen
- 14 ounce can Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- 14 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons minced chipotle peppers in adobo
- 1 ounce package Simply Organic Mild Chili Seasoning Mix
- 2 cups beef broth - low sodium
- 12 ounce bottle beer (or more chicken broth)
- Lime Crema (recipe below), cilantro and scallions to serve
- 1 cup plain low fat yogurt (or Greek yogurt)
- zest and juice of one lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat a skillet to medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray. Add ground sirloin, salt and pepper to pan and break down the beef into bite-sized pieces using a wooden spoon. Cook until nicely browned, 8-10 minutes. Remove from pan and place in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Add all remaining ingredients with the exception of the Lime Crema to the slow cooker (onion through beer).
- Cook on High for 4 Hours or Low for 8 Hours.
- While the chili is cooking, make the Lime Crema by combining all ingredients in a small bowl. Refrigerate until you are ready to serve the chili.
- Serve with a dollop of Lime Crema, cilantro and scallions.
Disclaimer: I have been compensated for my time by Muir Glen and Simply Organic to create this recipe. As always, all thoughts are 100% my own.