Lean chicken breasts and chewy farro give this spinach salad a major boost of protein to give you long lasting energy.
My Spinach Power Salad with Chicken and Farro is my husband’s favorite make-ahead brown bag lunch. In fact, once I made it for him the first time he started requesting it on a weekly basis. As a healthy food blogger with a picky husband, I can’t tell you how much joy this brings me.
Creating his lunches for the week has actually become a bit of a Sunday afternoon ritual for the two of us. We love being in the kitchen together and I love seeing him take charge with these salads. He always picks out his favorite veggies and asks for different grains each week. On this particular day we used farro but wheat berries and spelt also do a great job of maintaining their chewy, nutty texture throughout the week.
If you’ve never tried farro, I encourage you to give it a try. Packed with protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals, this ancient grain is an affordable and versatile source of energy. We love it with stir fry instead of brown rice or as a quick side dish in my Greek Style Farro Salad.
We almost always have leftover cooked chicken breasts on hand (we even used leftover tandoori chicken once!) but any lean protein works including pork tenderloin, tuna, flank steak, you name it. The salad is hearty enough to dress ahead of time but I always recommend waiting until you’re ready to serve.
What is your favorite make-ahead lunch idea? I would love to hear from you.
Your fork is waiting.
- 1 cup uncooked Bob's Red Mill farro
- 10 cups baby spinach (or any baby greens)
- 10 ounces thinly sliced leftover chicken breasts
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 cups mushroom slices
- 2 cups red pepper slices
- 6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Prepare farro according to package instructions and set aside to cool.
- Place spinach in a large bowl or 5 individual travel containers. Top with chicken slices, carrots, mushrooms, red pepper slices and cooled farro.
- In a small bowl, whisk together balsamic vinaigrette. Drizzle over salad bowl if you plan to serve immediately. Otherwise, place in a travel container and dress individual salads as needed throughout the week.
Feel free to mix and match toppings with whatever veggies or leftover meat you have on hand.
Disclaimer: I am honored to be a paid Bob’s Red Mill Ambassador. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible. As always, all thoughts are 100% my own.