This hearty, protein-packed wheat berry chicken salad is full of spring flavors including asparagus, artichokes and creamy goat cheese.
Wheat berries make me happy. No really, they do. So happy that they are the reason I started this blog four years ago next month! Fast forward to today I’m still here creating delicious wheat berry recipes. (Old habits die hard?)
If you’ve never tried wheat berries, I urge you to swap them out for the usual rice, oats or pasta in your next meal. Chewier than brown rice and more flavorful than quinoa, I love the added texture they bring to any dish. They are also packed in health benefits:
- Excellent Source of Fiber: Just one serving has 6 grams of fiber which helps slow digestion and stabilize blood sugar levels.
- Protein Packed: Unlike refined carbs such as white rice, pasta or bread, wheat berries contain 6 grams of protein per serving. Protein + fiber = feel fuller longer.
- Antioxidant Rich: The consumption of wheat berries can reduce your risks of developing certain types of cancer thanks to the plant estrogens (phytoestrogens.)
When I created this salad, we had leftover grilled asparagus on hand but feel free to use any fresh or grilled vegetables you need to use up. This salad is extremely versatile and tastes best when made with the freshest produce you can find.
Your fork is waiting.
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: 2 cups
- Calories: 255
- Fat: 6.5 g
- Saturated fat: 1.6 g
- Unsaturated fat: 4.9 g
- Trans fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 32.9 g
- Sugar: 2.9 g
- Sodium: 419 mg
- Fiber: 6.9 g
- Protein: 19.5 g
- Cholesterol: 33 mg
- 8 ounces cooked chicken breast - cubed
- ¾ cup uncooked wheat berries - prepared according to package instructions
- 2 celery stalks - minced
- 1 cup grilled asparagus - diced
- ½ cup halved cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup red onion - minced
- 4 artichoke hearts in water - drained and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ounce crumbled goat cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place cooked wheat berries in a medium bowl and add chicken, celery, asparagus, tomatoes, red onion and artichoke hearts. Toss to combine.
- Add lemon juice, olive oil, goat cheese and toss again until goat cheese starts to emulsify into the dressing.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste before serving.
Disclaimer: Bob’s Red Mill has compensated me for my time to develop this recipe. Thank you for supporting the brands that allow me to create quality content. As always, all thoughts are 100% my own.