Naturally vegan and gluten free, you won’t miss the meat in these protein-packed Black Bean Salsa Stuffed Sweet Potatoes bursting with southwest flavors.
Whether you are vegan, observe Meatless Monday or simply want to save money by eating more plant-based forms of protein, this dish is for you. We always have sweet potatoes on hand so inevitably, these black bean stuffed sweet potatoes end up being my lunch at least once a week.
To save time, I pop the sweet potatoes in the microwave for 6 minutes instead of turning on the hot oven. While the sweet potatoes cook, I chop a few fresh veggies and open up a can of black beans. Since I recently planted cilantro in herb garden, I’m likely to make these even more than usual.
Fresh lime juice is ideal but lemon juice or even rice wine vinegar works fine. I happened to have tomatoes and scallions to use up but I’ve also used red peppers, avocado, fresh corn and more. This time of year when the farmers markets are overflowing with produce, you really can’t go wrong.
Serve with plain yogurt, guacamole, hot sauce or even top with a fried egg for extra protein. This flavor packed, effortless meal will soon become one of your favorites.
Your fork is waiting.
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 14 ounce can black beans - drained and rinsed
- 1 large tomato - diced
- ½ cup scallions - minced
- ½ cup cilantro - minced
- juice and zest of one lime
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove - grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- Pierce each potato 3 or 4 times with a sharp knife and place on a microwave-safe plate. Heat in the microwave until cooked through, 6-7 minutes. (Alternatively, bake in the oven for 45-60 minutes at 350 degrees F.)
- While potatoes are cooking, mix together black bean salsa but combining all remaining ingredients in a medium bowl: black beans through cayenne. Toss well and check for seasoning. Adjust accordingly.
- To serve, slice open each sweet potato and stuff with equal portions of the black bean salsa.
- Top with additional cilantro and any other garnishes you wish such as plain yogurt, hot sauce or even a fried egg.