America’s favorite cookie gets a much-needed makeover (and a bit of a face-lift) with this healthy, whole wheat chocolate chip cookie bar recipe from Claire Gallam’s new book, Eat Skinny, Be Skinny.
As a healthy food blogger, I could’t be more thrilled to tell you about my dear friend Claire’s new cookbook, Eat Skinny, Be Skinny. Filled with 100 recipes all under 300 calories, you are going to fall in love with this cookbook.
Claire and I had the opportunity to meet in person when she attended Taste of Michigan a few years ago.
Claire is a complete gem and I’m so excited for her to be sharing more of her creative, nutritious and inspiring recipes with the world.
As I read through the book, it was hard to pick favorites but these Coconut Avocado Brownies are definitely on top of my list.
Can you believe these Lemon Blueberry Scones are good for you?
Since I could only share one recipe with all of you, I decided to select these Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars. Ooey, gooey, chocolate goodness that is completely guilt free is always a win in my book.
Be sure to grab a copy of Eat Skinny, Be Skinny for more mouth watering recipes that are not only delicious but easy on the waistline.
Your fork is waiting.
- Serves: 18
- Serving size: 1 bar
- Calories: 213
- Fat: 9.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 32 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 3.2 g
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- dash of salt
- 8 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1¼ cup dark chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- melted chocolate for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease an 8x8 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Beat the sugar, applesauce, butter, egg, egg yolk, and vanilla together in a stand mixer until creamy.
- In another bowl,whisk the flour, salt, and baking soda together. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat. Use a spatula to push the batter on the sides down.
- Remove from the mixer and stir in chocolate chips and walnuts. Spread mixture into the prepared baking dish and bake for about 25 minutes.