Tossed in a creamy tahini garlic dressing and mixed with dried cherries and toasted pine nuts, Brussels sprouts have never tasted so good.
Confession: I will eat just about anything smothered in tahini. If you’re not familiar, tahini is a paste made from sesame seeds. You can find it in most grocery stores, ethnic markets and online. Growing up, my mom would use it to coat roasted fish but it also tastes delicious with chicken shawarma in a pita or as a dipping sauce with roasted vegetables.
Speaking of vegetables, Brussels sprouts are in season and are at their peak flavor right now. While I normally love my Brussels roasted with lots of bacon, I decided to give them a quick blitz in the food processor and turn them into a raw slaw with a creamy tahini, garlic and lemon vinaigrette.
Since today is a special occasion, I decided to serve this Brussels slaw with an addictive little crostini made with olive oil, salt and a good pinch of earthy za’atar. Wondering what we are celebrating? Jessica of How Sweet Eats is expecting her first baby and the blogging world is coming together to celebrate in a BIG way.
I’m sure Jessica doesn’t need an introduction but if you’re not familiar with her blog, you must check it out. Literally, Jessica has never shared a recipe that I didn’t want to cook and eat immediately. For example: Chili Garlic Beef Stir Fry with Coconut Jasmine Rice. Or how about Crispy Kale Grilled Cheese with Fried Eggs. See what I mean? She’s amazing.
If the thought of raw Brussels makes you want to run for the hills, I urge you to reconsider. The acid in the lemon juice breaks down the raw-ness and the creamy, luscious tahini and addictive garlic totally sends it to the next level. Of course eating it on a crispy za’atar crostini doesn’t hurt either.
Happy Baby Shower, Jessica! I’m so excited for you and can’t wait to follow you on the next exciting chapter of your life. Thank you, as always, for being such an inspiration and shiny hot pink ball of energy. The world needs more of you. xoxo
Your fork is waiting.
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts (about 4 cups)
- ¼ cup tahini
- juice of one lemon
- 1 garlic clove - grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- warm water
- ½ cup dried cherries - roughly chopped
- 1 French baguette - sliced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons za'atar
- kosher salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and toast pine nuts on a baking sheet until golden brown, 5-7 minutes; set aside.
- Remove the stems and halve Brussels sprouts then place in a food processor. Pulse until roughly chopped or use the slicer attachment to thinly slice. Alternatively, you can use a mandolin or simply thinly slice with a knife.
- In the bottom of a large bowl, whisk together the tahini, lemon juice, grated garlic, salt and pepper. Slowly stream in up to ¼ cup of warm water until you've reached a slightly thin and creamy consistency.
- Add chopped Brussels to the bowl and toss to coat in the tahini dressing. Stir in the dried cherries and toasted pine nuts; set aside.
- To prepare the crostini, spread baguette slices in an even layer on a baking sheet and brush with olive oil. Sprinkle with za'atar and a pinch of kosher salt. Bake until golden brown, 7-9 minutes.
- Serve Brussels slaw with za'atar crostinis.
Be sure to visit all of the other blogs participating in #HowSweetBabyShower – it’s looking mighty tasty!
Trashed up Salads:
- Gimme Some Oven – Asian Broccoli Salad with Peanut Sauce
- With Style & Grace – Kale Salad with Apple, Hazelnuts & Bacon
Trashed up Cocktails:
- Dine & Dish – Hot Buttered Rum Cocktail
- Food For My Family – Cranberry Orange Dark and Stormy Cocktail
- Minimalist Baker – Bourbon Pumpkin Milkshakes
- Stylish, Stealthy & (sometimes) Healthy – Apple Cider Shandy
- A Spicy Perspective – Preggy Punch Mocktail
- Girl vs. Dough – Boozy Maple Peanut Butter Cup Milkshake
- Honestly Yum – Maple Bacon Pisco Sour
- Cookin Canuck – Pink Grapefruit Margaritas
- A Thought For Food – Mezcal Citrico Cocktail
- A House in the Hills – Pomegranate Rosemary Spritzer
- The Novice Chef – Ginger Bourbon Apple Cider
- Bran Appetit – Citrus Cider Punch Floats
Trashed up Burgers:
- Edible Perspective – Meatloaf Veggie Burgers with Mashed Potatoes + Gravy
- The Little Kitchen – Salmon BLT Sliders with an Avocado Aioli & Brie
- Daisy At Home – Balsamic Beef Burger with Mac and Cheese
- Cookies & Cups – Candied Bacon Maple Cheddar Burger
- Climbing Grier Mountain – Trashed-Up Steak Burger with Chicken Fried Bacon & Dijon Gravy
- Dessert For Two – Bleu Cheese Burgers + Sweet Potato Fries
- Country Clever – Fig Rosemary Roast Chicken Brie Brussels Sprout Panini
- Foodie Crush – The Best Cheeseburger Soup
- Lady and Pups – Spicy Sambal Chicken Meatball Sub with Eggs
- Two Peas & Their Pod – Sweet Potato and Kale Grilled Cheese
- Bake Your Day – Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich
Trashed up Tacos:
- Spoon Fork Bacon – Crunchy Ground Beef and Cheesy Tacos
- The Fauxmartha – Boozy Beef and Butternut Tacos
- With Food + Love – Harvest Hash Breakfast Tacos
- Mountain Mama Cooks – Crispy Kale and Brussels Sprout Tacos with Bacon
- Heather Christo – Bahn Mi Tacos with Spicy Sriracha Honey Sauce
- A Couple Cooks – Loaded Huevos Rancheros Tacos
- Fitnessista – San Diego Lobster Street Tacos
Trashed up Desserts
- Table for Two – Salted Caramel, Dark Chocolate, and Brown Butter Shortbread Bars with Sprinkles
- My Name is Yeh – Mini Vanilla Loaf Cakes, All Trashed Up
- Picky Palate – Pumpkin Spice Butterscotch Sprinkle Cupcakes
- Sprinkle Bakes – Cake Batter Confetti Cupcakes
- Averie Cooks – Easy Homemade Funfetti Cake with Vanilla Buttercream
- Sweet Phi – Trashed Up Shortbread Cookie Bars
- Love & Olive Oil – Loaded Junk Food Brownies
- Lauren’s Latest – Bakery Sugar Cookies
- Cookie + Kate – Peanut Butter, Banana, Honey and Oat Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Flourishing Foodie – Triple Layer Chocolate Cake with Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting
- The Sugar Hit – Salted Caramel Popcorn Ice Cream Cake
- Hummingbird High – Breakfast Cereal Cake Donuts
- Top With Cinnamon – Triple Chocolate Vanilla Swirl Crumb Cake
- Bake at 350 – Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sundaes
- Simple Bites – Lemon Layer Cake
- Bakerella – Baby Block Cake Pops
- She Wears Many Hats – Chocolate Covered Grapefruit
Trashed up Pizza
- Bev Cooks – Beer Battered Fried Calamari Pizza
- Rachel Cooks – Apple and Chicken Sausage Pizza with Macaroni and Cheese Stuffed Crust
- Foodie With Family – Trashed Up Barbecue Turkey Pizza
- Shutterbean – Pesto Potato Bacon Pizza
- i am a food blog – Grilled Cheese Pizza
- My Life as a Mrs – Chili Cheese Dog Pizza
- Simply Scratch – Steak + Blue Cheese Pizza with Crispy Fried Shallots and Honey Balsamic Drizzle
- The Beeroness – Beer Cheese Tater Tot Pizza
- Yes I Want Cake – Roasted Pumpkin Pizza
- Two Red Bowls – Bacon Mashed Potato Pizza
- Dula Notes – Pork Bahn Mi Pizza
- Weelicious – Trashed Up Mexican Pizza Pockets
- Take a Megabite – Roasted Beet Pizza
- Hungry Girl Por Vida – Hard Cider Braised Pork with Sour Cherries and Cheesy Polenta
- Bakers Royale – Trash’d Street Tacos