Lemon-scented baked donuts are moist and delicious thanks to the addition of yogurt. The chocolate drizzle finish takes these healthy treats to the next level.
You know it must be a special occasion if I’m baking AND making donuts… well guess what? It is! I’ve created these mouth-watering Lemon Yogurt Baked Muffins with Chocolate Drizzle in honor of my dear friend Caroline of Chocolate and Carrots. She is expecting her second baby next month so a few of us are throwing a Surprise Virtual Baby Shower hosted by Erin.
As it turns out, Caroline has been craving all things citrus this pregnancy so I decided to take my favorite fruit (lemon!) and turn it into a moist and fluffy baked donut.
Thanks to the addition of tangy plain yogurt, these donuts turned out moist, fluffy and a little dense – just like my ideal version of cake. Whole wheat pastry flour and flax seed meal gives it texture and lots of added nutrients for mama and baby.
And just in case that wasn’t temptation enough, I drizzled them in chocolate as a nod to my mama who loves the unexpected flavor combination of lemon and chocolate.
Be sure to check out all of these other citrus-inspired treats created for Caroline’s Virtual Baby Shower!
- Mini Lemon Curd Tarts from Texanerin Baking
- Berry Tart with Lime Glaze from Katie’s Cucina
- Super Soft Clementine Sugar Cookies from The Comfort of Cooking
- Grapefruit Salad with Avocado, Honey and Mint from Eating Made Easy
- Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins from Oh, Sweet Basil
- Meyer Lemon Poppy Seed Pull-Apart Muffins from Eats Well With Others
- Flourless Dark Chocolate Orange Brownies from Sweet Treats and More
- Quinoa Granola Parfaits with Grapefruit & Mint from Climbing Grier Mountain
- Orange Pecan French Toast from The Baker Mama
- Creamy Lemon Pasta from Barefeet In The Kitchen
- Meyer Lemon Shortbread Cookies from Keep It Sweet Desserts
Congratulations Caroline! So excited for your growing family!
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and spray two donut pans with cooking spray; set aside.
In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour through salt) and whisk together to remove any lumps.
In a medium bowl, whisk together yogurt, eggs, melted coconut oil, lemon zest and juice.
Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until ingredients are fully incorporated. Be careful not to overtax to ensure a fluffy end result.
Divide batter evenly between baking pans (I like to use a large cookie scoop) and use your finger to make sure the center isn't covered in batter.
Bake for 16-18 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool five minutes in pan before transferring to a wire wrack to cool completely.
While donuts are cooling slightly, melt chocolate chips over a double boiler or in the microwave for 60-90 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds.
Drizzle chocolate evenly over each donut using a spoon or a small plastic bag. Chill for 10 minutes to let chocolate set before serving.
Disclosure: I am in a long term partnership with Stonyfield. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible. All thoughts are my own.