This quick and easy chicken and asparagus stir fry comes together in less than 15 minutes, ideal for a busy weeknight dinner.
One of the reasons I love living in Michigan is the excitement and anticipation of each season. After a cold and cozy winter spent mostly indoors, I am so excited to head outside once again to enjoy the warmer spring temperatures.
Of course with warmer temperatures comes spring produce which really gets my juices flowing. Asparagus season is a big deal here in Michigan. In fact, the state ranks third in the nation for asparagus production growing up to 25 million pounds annually. Who knew?
Starting in mid-April and lasting just 6-7 weeks, when local asparagus hits the farm stands we eat it morning, noon and night. It’s delicious in a frittata, perfect in a pasta salad and ideal in a quick Asian stir-fry.
We typically use chicken breasts for stir-fries but ground turkey, pork tenderloin or beef sirloin would all work as well. As long as you always keep a well-stocked Asian pantry, you are never more than 15 minutes from a flavorful, nutritious recipe your whole family will love.
Your chop sticks are waiting.
[bctt tweet=”Chicken and Asparagus Stir Fry – Can’t get any better than this fresh, quick and delicious recipe from @TheLemonBowl!” via=”no”]
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts - cubed
- 1 pound asparagus - cut in one-inch pieces
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce - low sodium
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger root - minced
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
- roasted black sesame seeds - optional garnish
- scallions - optional garnish
- Heat a large wok or skillet over medium high-heat and spray with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle chicken cubes with salt and pepper then add to the hot pan. Sauté until golden brown, about 7-9 minutes, then remove from pan; set aside.
- To the same hot pan, add asparagus and stir-fry until bright green, about 3-4 minutes depending on the thickness of your asparagus.
- While asparagus is cooking, whisk together remaining ingredients in a small bowl: soy sauce, rice vinegar, hoisin, sesame oil, garlic, ginger and chili paste.
- Return chicken to the pan and pour in the sauce. Stir-fry until heated through and sauce becomes fragrant, 1-2 additional minutes.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and scallions before serving.