Packed with creamy guacamole and tangy Greek yogurt, your guests will have no idea this flavorful seven layer taco dip is healthy!
This time of year we spend as much time outside as possible here in Michigan. From pool parties to casual backyard grilling parties and lazy picnics in the park – we have earned these warm, sunny days and we soak up every minute.
One of my favorite summer traditions is our family’s July 4th pool party at our cousin’s house. We usually arrive straight from the annual parade and everyone is hungry and ready to party. We have a big family with lots of cousins so I always bring my famous Seven-Layer Taco Dip for the kids to enjoy while the rest of the meal hits the grill.
Traditionally made with sour cream and cheddar cheese, I decided to create a lighter version to make you feel a bit better about digging in while sitting in a bikini.
For a major protein boost and a cool, tangy flavor, I swapped out sour cream with plain Greek yogurt. Not only is yogurt an excellent source of calcium and other nutrients but recent studies show yogurt also improves digestion, reduces the risk of obesity and aids in digestion.
For even more flavor and a dose of heart-healthy omega-3 fats, I also added in a layer of homemade guacamole made with fresh lime juice and cilantro. To keep the sodium counts in check, I skip the powdered taco seasoning packet and used spices I already had on hand including cumin and smoked paprika.
What are you cooking up this summer? I’d love to hear from you.
No forks required.
- 15 ounce can refried beans - fat free
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt - divided
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne - optional
- 2 avocados
- ½ cup minced cilantro - divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- juice of one lime
- ½ cup minced scallions
- 2 roma tomatoes - seeded and diced
- ¼ cup sliced black olives
- In a small bowl, mix together refried beans and salsa. Spread mixture in a thin layer on the bottom of a large platter.
- In another small bowl, whisk together plain Greek yogurt, cumin, smoked paprika, ½ teaspoon of the salt and cayenne. Spread mixture on top of the bean/salsa layer.
- In a third bowl, mash together avocado with ¼ cup of the cilantro, garlic powder, lime juice and remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Spread guacamole on top of the yogurt layer.
- Sprinkle dip with minced scallions, diced tomatoes, black olives and remaining ¼ cup cilantro.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
Disclosure: I am honored to be a Dairy Ambassador for Milk Means More. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible. All thoughts are my own.
Fore more perfect party appetizers, check out my Healthy Appetizers board on Pinterest!
Follow The Lemon Bowl | Liz Della Croce’s board Healthy Appetizers on Pinterest.