The perfect portable make-ahead breakfast, these chewy apple oatmeal breakfast cookies are energy packed and lightly sweetened with molasses.
Can I get a quick fist pump for fall baking season? It is my favorite time of year for baking because it centers around two of my most beloved ingredients: apples and pumpkins.
My secret weapon? Molasses! Thick, syrupy and 100% fall, I love using molasses in baked goods. With school back in session, I wanted to create a fun and portable breakfast cookie that was high in flavor, low in sugar.
Packed with whole grains, healthy fats and protein, these chewy apple oatmeal breakfast cookies are an ideal make-ahead breakfast or lunch box treat.
When served with a tall glass of milk you get over 12 grams of protein per serving – just the type of energy kids need to get through their school day.
What are your favorite ways to bake with apples? I’d love to hear from you!
No forks required.
- 1½ cups oats - old fashioned
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup flax seed meal
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ⅓ cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 medium apple - cored and diced
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.
- In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: oats through salt.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together wet ingredients: eggs through vanilla.
- Slowly stir the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until evenly incorporated being sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Fold in the diced apples and chopped walnuts.
- Use a large cookie scoop to scoop out batter on prepared baking sheets leaving 2 inches in between each cookie. Gently press batter with fingers to flatten slightly.
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes or until centers are firm to touch.
- Cool in pan on wire rack.
Cookies freeze well when wrapped individually in plastic wrap.
Disclosure: I am honored to be a Milk Means More Dairy Ambassador. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible. All thoughts are my own.
Want more easy breakfasts? Check out my Healthy Breakfast Ideas board!