Slow Cooker Chicken Shawarma Pitas with Cucumber Yogurt Sauce are so healthy and easy to make, you will be making this chicken dinner recipe again and again!
Although I use my slow cooker all year round, I have been using it almost 3-4 nights a week this winter with our grill completely covered in snow. With the high energy of the #HealthyNewYear challenge in full force, I have been meal planing consistently throughout the month of January which means my slow cooker is getting a lot of extra attention!
Of course, just like all of you, I am always looking for more fast and easy slow cooker chicken recipes. Since my family loves eating Beef Shawarma with Cucumber Yogurt Sauce in the summer months I decided to find a way to enjoy shawarma without the help of my trusty grill.
We happened to have a pack of Kroger Simple Truth boneless, skinless chicken breasts on hand but you could certainly swap it out with chicken thighs, pork shoulder or even a beef chuck roast. The real star of the dish is the fragrant yogurt marinade filled with warm spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and all-spice.
These slow cooker chicken shawarma pitas are topped with a cool and creamy cucumber yogurt sauce, tomato slices and red onions. Make an extra batch and use leftover shredded chicken for salads, soups, pastas, tacos and more. The options are truly endless.
Your fork is waiting.
- 1½ cups whole milk plain yogurt
- ½ cup Simple Truth chicken broth
- ¼ cup All Purpose Lebanese Spice Blend
- ½ teaspoon Simple Truth cayenne - optional
- juice of one lemon (about ¼ cup)
- 4 six-ounce Simple Truth boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- whole wheat pita pockets
- Cucumber Laban (Lebanese Yogurt Sauce), sliced tomatoes and sliced red onion - to serve
- Place the yogurt, chicken broth, spices and lemon juice in the slow cooker insert and whisk well.
- Add chicken to the slow cooker and toss to coat with the spiced yogurt mixture.
- Heat on low for four hours or high for two hours. Shred chicken and and stuff inside pita pockets. Serve with Cucumber Laban, tomato and onion slices.
Simple Truth and Simple Truth Organic products can be found at your local Kroger store.
Photography by Alejandro Photography // Recipe by The Lemon Bowl
Disclosure: I am honored to be an ambassador for Kroger. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible. All thoughts are my own.
More Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes are waiting for you on Pinterest!