Hermit Bars - Chewy Molasses Cookie Bars
Author: Liz DellaCroce | The Lemon Bowl
Recipe type: Dessert
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups brown sugar - packed
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks) - softened
- 2/3 cup dark molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups raisins
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour one cookie sheet and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: flour, cinnamon, baking power, baking soda, ginger, nutmeg, salt and cloves.
- With mixer on medium, beat together brown sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add in molasses then egg and mix until combined.
- Reduce speed to low and slowly add in the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Use a spoon to stir in raisins.
- Scrape edges of bowl with a plastic spatula.
- Flour hands then carefully press dough into even layer on the floured cookie sheet.
- Bake 17-19 minutes depending on oven. Remove when toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before slicing into bars.
These cookies age well and can handle a little air exposure. They are very moist and last several days (if they last that long!) Slicing Tip: A pizza slicer is a great way to ensure even slicing.
Serving size: 1 cookie Calories: 105 Fat: 3 g Saturated fat: 2 g Unsaturated fat: 1 g Carbohydrates: 19 g Sodium: 80 mg Protein: 1 g Cholesterol: 15 mg
Recipe by The Lemon Bowl at http://thelemonbowl.com/2012/11/hermit-bars.html