Vegetable Bean Soup with Greens
Author: Liz DellaCroce | The Lemon Bowl
Recipe type: Soup
- 1 onion - diced
- 2 carrots - diced
- 2 celery stalks - diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes (or black pepper)
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 4 cups butternut squash cubes (peeled)
- 8 cups chicken broth - low sodium (homemade preferred)
- 15 oz can cannellini beans (or beans of choice)
- 15 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 8 cups leafy greens (spinach, kale, chard, etc.)
- juice of one lemon
- fresh parsley and parmesan cheese - optional garnish
- Saute onion, carrots, celery and garlic cloves in large pot sprayed with non-stick spray over medium heat. Add salt to release juices and continue to stir until veggies soften, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add chili flakes, cinnamon, cumin and butternut squash cubes. Cook for 2-3 minutes stirring frequently before adding chicken broth, beans and tomatoes.
- Bring pot to a boil then reduce to low. Simmer for 20 minutes or until squash is cooked through.
- Before serving, stir in leafy greens and lemon juice. When greens wilt, check for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Serve with fresh parsley and shaved parm.
Add fresh parsley and shaved parm right before serving.
Very freezer friendly!
Serving size: 1 cup Calories: 133 Fat: 1.2 g Saturated fat: .1 g Unsaturated fat: 1.1 g Trans fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 25.2 g Sugar: 5.1 g Sodium: 932 mg Fiber: 6.2 g Protein: 7.4 g Cholesterol: 0
Recipe by The Lemon Bowl at http://thelemonbowl.com/2012/11/hearty-vegetable-soup.html