Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup with Bacon
Author: Liz DellaCroce | The Lemon Bowl
Recipe type: Soup
- 2 slices bacon - sliced into thin strips
- 1 medium onion - diced
- 2 celery stalks - diced
- 2 carrots - diced
- 1 cup split green peas (uncooked)
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups chicken broth - low sodium
- 4 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley - optional garnish
- Cook the bacon strips in a medium pan over medium-high heat until crispy and browned; set aside on a paper towel lined plate.
- In a slow cooker, add all remaining ingredients including the cooked bacon.
- Heat on Low for 8 hours or High for 4 hours. Season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with fresh parsley before serving.
Since different brands of chicken broth and bacon have varying amounts of sodium, season this soup with additional salt and pepper according to personal preference.
Serving size: 16oz Calories: 157 Fat: 2g Saturated fat: .3g Unsaturated fat: 1.7g Carbohydrates: 22.5g Sugar: 3.3g Sodium: 149mg Fiber: 4.1g Protein: 11.1g Cholesterol: 3mg
Recipe by The Lemon Bowl at http://thelemonbowl.com/2012/12/slow-cooker-split-pea-soup-with-bacon.html