Perfect for lunch boxes or after-school snacking, your kids will love these sweet and crunchy apple sandwiches.
Apple season is in full force here in Michigan and I couldn’t be more excited. I love everything about fall but the abundance of crisp, juicy apples is definitely near the top of the list. Just like that first ripe strawberry in June or a honey-scented peach in July, nothing quite beats the floral aromas of a freshly picked apple.
Except, perhaps, a freshly prepared apple cider donut with cold-pressed apple cider. As you can tell, these boys were transfixed during a recent visit to a local orchard. These don’t taste like kale chips, Mom…
Michigan Apples Fun Fact: Michigan is the third-largest apple-producing state in the nation! In fact, in 2013 we harvested around 30 million bushels. Rumor on the orchard is that 2014 will not only blow this number out of the water but has been the best harvest in 10 years!
We love eating apples for breakfast, lunch, and dinner but most recently I decided to create a nutritious little snack for the boys – apple sandwiches! Naturally gluten-free, these handheld bites are such a fun treat that kids and adults will love. Packed with protein, fiber, and satisfying healthy fats, they are the perfect after-school snack or post-workout treat.
No forks required.
Apple Sandwiches with Peanut Butter and Coconut
- 2 apples cored
- ¼ cup creamy natural peanut butter
- ¼ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- Slice cored apples ¼ of an inch thick and lay slices in an even layer on a cutting board.
- Spread half of the apple slices with a little peanut butter then top with a second apple slice.
- Place shredded coconut in a shallow bowl and slowly dip all sides of the apple sandwich in the coconut until the outside is evenly coated.