Skip to content

Apple Sandwiches with Peanut Butter and Coconut

    Perfect for lunch boxes or after-school snacking, your kids will love these sweet and crunchy apple sandwiches.

    Apple Sandwiches with Peanut Butter

    Apple season is in full force here in Michigan and I couldn’t be more excited. I love everything about fall but the abundance of crisp, juicy apples is definitely near the top of the list. Just like that first ripe strawberry in June or a honey-scented peach in July, nothing quite beats the floral aromas of a freshly picked apple.

    Cide Donuts - The Lemon Bowl

    Except, perhaps, a freshly prepared apple cider donut with cold-pressed apple cider. As you can tell, these boys were transfixed during a recent visit to a local orchard. These don’t taste like kale chips, Mom…

    Sietsema Orchard - The Lemon Bowl

    Michigan Apples Fun Fact: Michigan is the third-largest apple-producing state in the nation! In fact, in 2013 we harvested around 30 million bushels. Rumor on the orchard is that 2014 will not only blow this number out of the water but has been the best harvest in 10 years!

    Apple Cider - The Lemon Bowl

    Another fun fact: 40% of all Michigan apples are eaten fresh and the remaining 60% is processed into other foods like applesauce, apple butter, and, of course, apple cider.

    We love eating apples for breakfast, lunch, and dinner but most recently I decided to create a nutritious little snack for the boys – apple sandwiches! Naturally gluten-free, these handheld bites are such a fun treat that kids and adults will love. Packed with protein, fiber, and satisfying healthy fats, they are the perfect after-school snack or post-workout treat.

    No forks required.

    Apple Sandwiches with Peanut Butter

    Apple Sandwiches with Peanut Butter and Coconut

    5 stars average
    Perfect for packing in lunch bags or after-school snacking, your kids will love these sweet and crunchy apple sandwiches.
    PREP: 10 mins
    TOTAL: 10 mins
    Save
    Servings: 12

    Ingredients
     

    • 2 apples (cored)
    • ¼ cup creamy natural peanut butter
    • ¼ cup shredded unsweetened coconut

    Instructions
     

    • Slice cored apples 1/4 of an inch thick and lay slices in an even layer on a cutting board.
    • Spread half of the apple slices with a little peanut butter then top with a second apple slice.
    • Place shredded coconut in a shallow bowl and slowly dip all sides of the apple sandwich in the coconut until the outside is evenly coated.

    Notes

    If you’re planning to eat at a later time, sandwiches with a little lemon juice to prevent apples from browning.

    Nutrition

    Calories: 176kcalCarbohydrates: 15.9gProtein: 4.4gFat: 11.5gSaturated Fat: 3.8gPolyunsaturated Fat: 7.7gTrans Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 78mgFiber: 3.2gSugar: 10.9g
    SHOW AND TELL ON INSTAGRAM!Show me your creation and rate it below! Mention @thelemonbowl or tag #thelemonbowl! I would LOVE to see!
    nv-author-image

    Liz DellaCroce

    Liz Della Croce is the creator and author of The Lemon Bowl, a healthy food blog. Since 2010, Liz has been sharing delicious recipes that just so happen to be healthy. By using real ingredients with an emphasis on seasonality, Liz has built a growing audience of loyal readers who crave good food for their families. Click Here To Subscribe to my newsletter:

    12 Comments

    1. This is my kind of after school snack! I could go to town with a jar of peanut butter and a few apples, but love that this turns them into a more portion-controlled treat!

      1. Another great thing about this apple/peanut butter snack is that we get protein which helps keep us full longer!!:-). This makes it a WW approved snack too! Win, win, right??:-)

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published.

    Your feedback is important to us. Rate what you thought of this.




    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.