Escape from the salad blues with my hot and sour Asian Vegetable Slaw. If you love anything pickled or sour – this is the salad for you!!
Do you ever find yourself in a salad rut? Perhaps you tend to eat the same tossed green salad night after night after night? Escape from the salad blues with my hot and sour Asian Veggie Slaw. If you love anything pickled or sour – this is the salad for you!! The simple combination of colorful, crunchy veggies combined with classic Asian flavors makes this dish perfect addition to any meal. Want to kick the heat up a notch? Be my guest! Experiment with various chilis or even add more Thai chili garlic paste.
Did you know that spicy foods are actually good for you? Peppers contain a powerful ingredient called capsaicin. The spicier the pepper, the higher the level of capsaicin.
A few of the nutritional benefits of capsaicin include:
- Fight Inflammation
- Fight Cancer
- Burn Fat and Lose Weight (speeds up metabolism)
- Protects the Heart
- Soothe Intestinal Diseases
The best part? Peppers are very low in calorie yet extremely high in health benefits. If you can handle the heat, take advantage of everything peppers have to offer. Not only will you boost the flavor of your food but you are doing your body a lot of good.
Your fork is waiting.
Asian Vegetable Slaw
- 2 c shredded carrots
- 2 c red pepper (thinly sliced)
- 1 seedless cucumber (thinly sliced on the diagonal)
- 1 jalepeno pepper (finely chopped)
- 1 cubanelle pepper (finely chopped)
- 2 tbs rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Thai chili garlic paste
- 2 tbs soy sauce (low sodium)
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- In a small bowl, wisk together rice vinegar, chili garlic paste, soy sauce and sesame oil. Set aside.
- Combine carrots in a medium bowl with red peppers, cucumber, jalepeno and cubanelle pepper.
- Toss well with reserved dressing and serve. Tastes even better if you let it sit for up to 10 minutes.