I am always on the look out for healthy and delicious snacks to have on hand throughout the week. As I enter my 36th week of pregnancy, I’m finding that I can very rarely last from breakfast to lunch without a little pick-me-up in between. Today’s solution? My moist and nutritious banana oatmeal muffins. Here are a few tricks I use to keep them healthy and tasty at the same time:
Oat Flour: By processing oats into a fine meal or flour, you avoid the need to use all purpose bleached flour. The result? Extra fiber and whole grains are added into your diet.
Natural Apple Sauce: To avoid using too much fat, I use a mixture of natural apple sauce and heart-healthy canola oil to moisten the muffins.
Plain Yogurt: Similar to the apple sauce, plain yogurt is a fabulous way to add tang and moisture for a fraction of the calories as oil. (Canola oil has 120 calories per tablespoon, plain yogurt has 120 calories per cup!) Added bonus? Extra calcium and protein.
Sending kids to school this Fall? These muffins are a fabulous grab and go breakfast for busy week days. Want to get a head start? Make a double batch and freeze half – simply reheat in the microwave as needed.
No fork required.
Healthy Banana Oatmeal Muffins
- 1 1/4 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 1/2 c oat flour ** See Note
- 1/2 c milk reduced fat
- 1/2 c plain yogurt lowfat
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 c brown sugar packed
- 1/4 c natural applesauce
- 2 tbs canola oil
- 2 large ripe bananas mashed
- 1 egg
- 1/4 c chopped walnuts optional
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a muffin pan with 12 liners or spray with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine oats with plain yogurt and milk.
- Meanwhile, mix together oat flour (see note above), baking soda, baking powder, sugar, spices and salt; set aside.
- Add applesauce, oil and mashed bananas to the oat/milk mixture and stir well.
- Combine dry mixture with the wet mixture and stir until incorporated.
- Divide batter evenly into muffin tins and bake for 18-20 minutes.