Taking the time to reorganize your kitchen pantry will save you and your family precious time, money and calories for months to come!
There are two types of people in this world: those who love cleaning and organizing and those who do not. Any guesses which category I fall into? The truth is, I could spend all day cooking for hundreds of people and never get sick of it but I simply have no passion for cleaning or rearranging items in my kitchen.
That is, until I do it and realize how incredibly gratifying and wonderful it is to have a spotless and organized work space. In fact, earlier this year I was so inspired by the beautiful photos of Sommer’s spice drawer that I decided to finally tackle my own overflowing pantry of spices. It took me no more than 15 minutes and I thank myself for doing it every time I open up my spice pantry – often 2-3 times a day!
So why have I waited so long to tackle the storage pantry in my kitchen? It beats me! Fortunately, my dear friends from OXO invited me to participate in the #POPtober Challenge which was just the nudge I needed to finally tackle my kitchen pantry.
With the help of their 10 Piece POP Container Set and several POP Cereal Dispensers, I was armed and ready to get to work. Thanks to the square design and flat lids, they are ideal for stacking which not only looks beautiful but maximizes space. If you have little ones you will love the pop-open lids that only require one hand to open – perfect if you’re busy carrying a baby on your hip like I usually am!
In total, it took me no more than 20 minutes to re-organize my entire kitchen pantry. The truth is, I need to stock up on more containers so that I can complete the mission. Of course, in true blogger fashion, I’ve started a little Pinterest Board with my wish list of items!
Need a few more reasons to get started?
A well organized pantry is not only easy on the eye but it will pay off in the long-run by saving you time, money and calories. Here’s how:
1) Easy Access to Health Foods: Before I had these POP containers, all of my whole grains like farro and quinoa were hidden in bags in a lower drawer. Now they are front and center which means I am more inclined to cook with them. It doesn’t matter how much chia you have in your pantry – if you don’t eat it, you won’t enjoy the health benefits.
2) Trigger Foods Can Be Hidden: Is it hard to resist that bright yellow bag of chocolate chips every time you open the pantry? I get it. By using a POP container to store my chocolate chips, I can easily hide them in the back or up high, out of eye site. Out of site, out of mind.
3) Less Food Waste: For whatever reason, I always seem to wind up with ¼ cup or less of rice or bulgur wheat when I get to the bottom of a box. Normally I would just toss it and consider it a loss. With the POP containers, no rice is left behind – you simply add more rice to the container.
4) Save Money: You know when you get to Costco and think you’re low on walnuts? That is, until you get home and realize you have an unopened 5 pound bag in the pantry? Umm… yea. Me neither…
5) Cook More, Save Calories: No matter what, a home cooked meal will have 40% less fat, calories and sodium of anything you order off of a menu. If your pantry is a beautiful, organized and easy-to-navigate part of your kitchen, you are going to be more inclined to cook. For example, I totally forgot about the shredded coconut I had hidden in the back of my pantry. I can’t wait to whip up homemade granola bars or energy bites with it soon.
Are you feeling inspired yet? Trust me, you will not regret doing this my friends. I promise.
Disclaimer: I have not been compensated to write this post. OXO was gracious enough to send me containers to reorganize my pantry. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible. As always, all thoughts are 100% my own.