These fluffy, protein-packed pancakes are filled with plump, juicy blueberries and creamy maple almond butter.
Traditions have always been important to me but they are even more sacred now that I’m a mother to two young boys. Similar to holidays and birthdays, the growing season in West Michigan is dotted with annual traditions.
Starting with strawberry picking in June and ending with Pumpkins in October, I love bringing our kids to local farms and orchards to show them where our food comes from. Above is a photo of our oldest peach picking two years ago.
Right now we are in the height of blueberry season which we celebrated by picking 18 pounds together as a family! One of the easiest fruits to preserve, nothing beats a freezer full of ripe berries in the middle of winter.
To put those berries to good use, Chef Asher helped me whip up a batch of Almond Butter Blueberry Pancakes made with protein-rich Stonyfield plain yogurt and Justin’s Maple Almond Butter.
It’s no surprise that my family is a huge fan of all-things Stonyfield but did you know they are part of the Made to Matter – Hand Picked by Target program? This collection of 30+ brands including Annie’s, KIND, Ben & Jerry’s and more makes it even easier to make smarter purchases that are good for our environment.
These fluffy pancakes turned out even better than I expected thanks to the maple-scented almond butter and creamy yogurt. The powerful combination of protein, fat and fiber from the whole wheat pastry flour and berries makes this decadent breakfast one you can feel good about feeding your family.
Of course the fact that you’re also protecting our environment by making these beauties is just the cherry (blueberry?) on top.
Your fork is waiting.
Blueberry Almond Butter Pancakes
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill)
- ¼ cup flax seed meal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups low fat milk
- ½ cup Stonyfield plain low fat yogurt
- 3 tablespoons Justin’s Maple Almond Butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 egg
- ½ cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- maple syrup to serve
- In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: whole wheat pastry flour through salt.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together wet ingredients: milk through egg. Note: mixture will be slightly lumpy and that’s ok!
- Slowly pour the liquid mixture into the dry mixture and stir until ingredients are just incorporated, being careful not to over mix.
- Gently fold in blueberries.
- Pour batter on a pre-heated griddle, about 1/4-1/3 cup at a time. When bubbles start to form, it’s time to flip. Continue cooking on the second side until golden brown. Repeat until all batter is gone.
- Serve with warm maple syrup and extra berries.
Disclosure: I am proud to be a long term Brand Ambassador for Stonyfield. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible. All thoughts are my own.
For even more breakfast ideas, check out my Healthy Breakfast Recipes board!