Table of Contents
Ripe banana and plump blueberries are the perfect natural sweetener for these delicious blueberry banana pancakes. Ricotta cheese adds a light and airy texture to keep the pancakes moist and fluffy.
When the blueberry season arrives in Michigan, I tend to go a little overboard at the farmers market. As the nation’s largest producer of cultivated bluebush blueberries, we take this fruit pretty seriously.
Plump, sweet and beautiful – blueberries are not only incredibly delicious but they are one of the most nutritious foods you can buy. Packed in antioxidants and vitamins, blueberries have been proven to help reduce the risk of many cancers, boost heart health, improve cognitive function and much more.
Of course, many plant-based foods offer similar health benefits but something tells me it’s easier to get your family to eat a pound of blueberries than a bunch of elephant kale. So, here are a few of our favorite ways to enjoy blueberries:
- Blueberry Oatmeal Bread
- Blueberry Banana Oatmeal Smoothie
- Avocado Blueberry Baby Smoothie
- Lemon Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins
- Homemade Blueberry Vodka Lemonade
- High Protein Blueberry Kale Smoothie
- Healthy Blueberry Ginger Scones
What are your favorite healthy blueberry recipes? I’d love to hear from you, and maybe I’ll make one of your recipes next!
How to Make Blueberry Banana Ricotta Pancakes
Making pancakes from scratch is pretty easy and it gives you the opportunity to add unique ingredients like ricotta. Ricotta makes the pancakes fluffy and moist.
Ripe bananas and blueberries also add texture and natural sweetness so you don’t need added sugar. After mixing all the ingredients, use a ladle or large spoon to form pancakes on the griddle or frying pan.
Next, flip the pancakes when bubbles start to form in the batter, being careful not to lose any blueberries! We sometimes make shapes or letters upon request from the kids.
Last, serve with fresh Michigan maple syrup and top with more fresh blueberries, bananas, or nuts.
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I don’t have ripe bananas?
Ripe bananas are best because they’re easier to mash but use whatever you have!
Why do you put ricotta in pancakes?
It adds an extra velvety texture and makes the pancakes super moist.
Can you freeze pancakes?
Yes! I love making an extra large batch and freezing some for busy weekday mornings. You can freeze for up to 3 months.
How long do pancakes last in the refrigerator?
Pancakes and waffles can be stored in an air tight container and will be good in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Your fork is waiting.
Blueberry Banana Ricotta Pancakes
- In a large bowl, whisk together mashed banana, ricotta and two eggs.
- Stir in buckwheat pancake mix, cinnamon and salt then begin adding milk until desired consistency is reached. For thinner pancakes, add all 2 cups of milk.
- Carefully fold in the blueberries then set aside.
- Heat griddle on high and spray with non-stick spray.
- Using a 1/4 cup ladle or ice cream scoop, pour pancake batter onto hot griddle. When bubbles begin to form and pancake is golden brown, flip to the other side.
- Serve with maple syrup and fresh blueberries.