You’re going to love these moist and delicious blueberry oatmeal muffins made with whole grains and protein-rich plain yogurt. Ideal for a quick breakfast or on-the-go snack!
One of the many reasons I love fall is that the cooler temps inspire me to get in the kitchen and bake with my boys. Of course, Rich is the true baker in the family with his fancy breads and sourdough starters but I can hold my own.
Made with chewy whole grain oats, omega-3 rich flax seed meal and lots of juicy blueberries, these hearty muffins are ideal for breakfast on-the-go or a quick afternoon snack.
Take my advice, make a second batch and stash in the freezer for another day! They are great for gifting to new moms, warming up in the microwave for a quick treat or serving last minute company.
No forks required.
Healthy Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons old fashioned oats divided
- 1/2 cup flax seed meal
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups plain low fat yogurt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup Wyman's frozen wild blueberries
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin tin with liners or spray with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: whole wheat flour, 1 cup of the oats, flax meal, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda.
- Using an electric stand mixer, beat together yogurt, coconut oil, vanilla and eggs over medium speed. Slowly add dry ingredients until just combined then remove from mixer.
- Carefully fold in the blueberries then pour batter into muffin tins using a large cookie scoop. In a small bowl, mix together remaining 2 tablespoons of oats and 2 tablespoons brown sugar. Sprinkle a little over the top of each muffin before placing in the oven.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let muffins cool for 1 minute in pan then remove from pan and cool completely on a baking sheet (or serve warm!)
Disclosure: Wyman’s has compensated me for my time to develop this recipe. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible. All thoughts are my own.
Ready for more Healthy Breakfast Ideas? Check out Pinterest!