Creamy Brown Rice with Bacon, Corn and Yellow Squash – easy and delicious healthy side dish.
Brown rice is a staple in our house and I often serve it alongside various stir-fries including Sesame Chicken and Green Beans, Ground Turkey Stir Fry, or Beef and Broccoli. A great source of whole grains, it provides numerous health benefits. Here are a few of my favorite:
- Excellent source of fiber helping to keep you fuller, longer.
- Great source of selenium, a mineral that has been proven to reduce your risk of colon cancer.
- Helps lower LDL (bad) cholesterol.
- Contain lignans, a type of phytonutrient that helps lower risk of heart disease, breast cancer and other hormone-related cancers.
In honor of late Summer corn season, I decided to try something different and create this delicious and easy take on brown rice. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Your fork is waiting.
Creamy Brown Rice with Bacon and Corn
- 2 slices bacon cut in pieces
- 1 c onion chopped
- 1 ear corn kernels removed
- 1 yellow squash chopped
- 1 c brown rice
- 1 ¾ c water
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- Fresh parsley optional garnish
- In a medium sauce pot, brown bacon pieces over medium-high heat until crisp. (Tip: Use scissors to cut bacon right into the pan!)
- Remove bacon from pan and set aside, removing all but 1 tbs of bacon fat.
- Add chopped onion to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Add corn, squash and rice and cook additional 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in water, salt and pepper then stir well.
- Bring mixture to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Cook with lid on for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Fluff with a fork then add lemon juice and fresh parsley before serving.