Creamy vanilla bean yogurt and cherry preserves are swirled into steel cut oatmeal to create this warm and satisfying power breakfast.
I’m a little embarrassed to admit how much yogurt my family consumes on a weekly basis. Our youngest has only been eating solids for a couple of months now and I swear he is already out-consuming his older brother!
From smoothies to Middle Eastern food and everything in between, we truly enjoy yogurt morning, noon and night in this house.
One of the reasons we eat so much yogurt is because I use it to bring down the temperature of hot foods I’m trying to serve my 9 mo and 2 yo. Plain yogurt stirred into chili or blueberry yogurt spread on top of warm pancakes is not only delicious but it also allows me to get food into their bellies asap. Because let’s be real, hungry babies and toddlers are not exactly a fun time… ;)
As a nod to my Michigan cherry love, I decided to pair the vanilla yogurt with Bonne Maman cherry preserves. The slightly tart-sweet cherry flavor blends perfectly with the vanilla-bean Petite Creme. The dish is finished with a handful of buttery walnuts to provide even more protein and heart-healthy fats to keep your whole family energized all morning long.
Your spoon is waiting.
Cherry Vanilla Swirl Steel Cut Oatmeal
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 3 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 5.3 ounce container Stonyfield Petite Creme yogurt – Vanilla Bean
- 2 tablespoons Bonne Maman Cherry Preserves
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- Bring water, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt to a roaring boil whisking occasionally over high heat.
- Stir in steel cut oats and flax seed meal then bring back to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- While oats are cooking, stir together vanilla yogurt and cherry preserves in a small bowl and set aside.
- To serve, stir cherry vanilla yogurt mixture in to the oats and sprinkle with chopped walnuts.
48 thoughts on “Cherry Vanilla Swirl Steel Cut Oatmeal”
Oh man! That’s a mash up of my fave breakfast (yogurt) and my hubby’s fave (oatmeal)… I feel a romantic breakfast coming on!
Yes girl!!! I bet he would love this!
First of all, Jacob needs absolutely stop growing. This is getting ridiculous that he’s getting this big!
What a great breakfast idea. I love the cherry vanilla swirl especially!
Tell me about it Kristen!! The haircut aged him by 10 years!!
I need a HUG from that cute little boy. PINNED – love this for BF!
Awww he wants to hug his Aunt Sandy!! xo
This is my kind of breakfast! So delicious!
Thank you Lori!! Perfect as we head into cooler weather. :)