For long-lasting energy on the go, these chewy chocolate pecan chip granola bars are packed with nutrients and whole grains.
Chewy Chocolate Pecan Chip Granola Bars
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9 x 13 glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together oats, pecans, flax seed, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together maple syrup, melted coconut oil, egg whites and vanilla. Pour liquid mixture over the oats and stir well.
- Add cherries, figs and chocolate chips to the mixture and stir once more until ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Using a rubber spatula, spread the granola mixture evenly in the baking dish pressing firm so that granola bars are in a flat, even layer.
- Bake until golden brown, 30-35 minutes. Let cool completely before slicing.
It will be a sad day when my three year old stops referring to granola bars as “nilly bars.” Whether we’re heading out the door to the gym or racing to an appointment, it’s almost a guarantee that he will ask for a nilly bar the minute we get in the car.
How can I blame him? Granola bars are the perfect portable snack and easy to customize with your family’s favorite dried fruits, nuts, seeds and other mix-ins. We had a giant bag of pecan chips just begging to be used so during one of our frequent early morning bake-a-thons, we cooked nilly bars together.
Chewy, soft and packed with protein and whole grains, they are much tastier and certainly a lot cheaper than anything you’ll buy at the store. If you don’t love pecans, walnuts or almonds would work. No cherries? Use raisins. No matter what you use, your family will be so thrilled you made a fresh batch of nilly bars.
No forks required.