Looking for a healthy stir fry that actually has flavor? This chicken and broccoli Stir-fry is a 20 minute fast and easy weeknight recipe that everyone will love!
Have you had your 9 servings of fruits and vegetables today? Stir-frying is the perfect way to fill your family’s dinner plate with any veggies sitting in your refrigerator. As always, my recipe today is more about the method than the specific ingredients. Broccoli, scallions, and zucchini happened to be in my veggie drawer this week but this would work just as well with red peppers, asparagus, green beans or summer squash.
You know those go-to recipes you make again and again? The ones you make when you don’t know what you’re making for dinner? Yea, me too. And today I’m sharing mine: Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry.
Made with just a few simple fresh ingredients like boneless chicken breasts and broccoli florets, this entire dinner recipe comes together in less than 20 minutes.
To make sure I always have what I need on hand for quick and healthy stir-fries, I always keep my pantry fully stocked with Asian staples including sesame oil, rice vinegar, and hoisin.
As I always say, this recipe is more of a general guideline and isn’t meant to be followed to a T. Chicken can be swapped with pork, beef or shrimp. Broccoli can be replaced with asparagus, green beans or zucchini. Make it your own, just make it for dinner tonight.
Other stir fry recipes:
- Chinese Shrimp and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry
- Chinese Mixed Vegetables Stir Fry
- Asian Ground Turkey and Green Bean Stir-Fry
Your chopsticks are waiting.
Authentic Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
- 1 pound chicken breasts (cut in 1 in. pieces)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 1 large zucchini (diced)
- ½ cup water chestnuts (diced)
- ½ cup chicken broth (low sodium)
- 1 tablespoon ginger root (grated)
- 2 cloves garlic (grated)
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic paste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (low sodium)
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- Heat a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat and spray with non-stick spray.
- Add chicken seasoned with salt and pepper and cook 5-7 minutes until chicken is browned, stirring frequently.
- While chicken is cooking, whisk together last 7 ingredients (broth through rice wine vinegar in a small bowl; reserve.
- When chicken is browned, remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add onion and saute 2-3 minutes.
- Add zucchini and saute an additional minute or two.
- Finally, add broccoli and the sauce you made earlier.
- Bring to a simmer and cover pan, allowing broccoli to steam about 5 minutes. Return cooked chicken to the pan and heat 5 additional minutes before serving.
- Serve with toasted nori seaweed, ice burg lettuce cups or brown rice.
Craving Asian Food? Head over to Pinterest for more recipes!