This satisfying, comforting chicken soup recipe is made with tender breast meat, hearty vegetables and aromatic chicken stock.
Does anyone else crave soup recipes year round? Nutritious, warming, flavorful and great for using up whatever I have on hand, I can’t get enough of soup no matter the season. Whether it’s my Instant Pot Lebanese Chicken Soup, Crock Pot Ginger Chicken and Rice Soup, or Mexican Chicken Soup, I’m always in the mood for making a big batch of soup. Even better, leftovers make the perfect easy lunch!
One reason I love cooking from scratch is that it allows me to control the quality of ingredients I serve my family. That’s why I source Smart Chicken any time I’m cooking with poultry. Founded in Nebraska in 1998, the Smart Chicken Company produces the highest quality, fresh, and best-tasting chicken. From their humane farm practices where chickens are fed non-GMO diets to their unique air-chilled processing, this chicken is something I feel good about feeding my family.
Ready to get cooking? To start this chicken and rice soup recipe, begin chopping all the vegetables. Next, heat olive oil in a large soup pot, and add in garlic. When it becomes fragrant, add the vegetables, and cook until they are tender.
Next, add Smart Chicken’s organic, gluten-free bone broth and water, and bring the liquids to a boil before adding in the Smart Chicken boneless, skinless breasts.
What is bone broth?
A quality bone broth is made with wholesome, organic ingredients– no powders, preservatives or artificial flavor enhancers. While you can make it from scratch, I always keep a box or two of Smart Chicken’s bone broth on hand for when I’m pressed for time and want to intensify the flavor of my dishes, quickly. Their bone broth starts with pure air-chilled organic Smart Chicken bones which they bring to a slow-simmer with organic herbs, vegetables and spices. The healthiest chickens have the strongest bones, which makes for the highest quality bone broth. Smart Chicken organic bone broth is perfect for simmering and sipping or elevating the flavor of your favorite recipes.
When the chicken is fully cooked, remove it from the soup, and cut it into bite-sized pieces before adding it back to the pot. Finally, bring the soup to a boil. Add the rice, and let it simmer for about fifteen minutes. Check for seasoning, and garnish with cilantro, parsley, jalapeno, or lime slices before serving.
What Makes Smart Chicken Unique?
Apart from providing delicious meat and ingredients, Smart Chicken was the first chicken producer in the United States to use 100% air-chill technology. They were the first chicken producer in the United States to offer a product that is both Certified Organic and Certified Humane (through HFAC). In addition, Smart Chicken was the first chicken producer in the United States to use Controlled Atmosphere Stunning (CAS), ensuring humane harvesting of all Smart Chickens.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Chicken and Rice soup can be stored safely in the fridge for up to four days. Or, it will last in the freezer for up to three months.
Yes, feel free to use any rice or grain you prefer. I suggest wild rice, whole grain rice, or quinoa!
I love to pair this recipe with a light salad like this Middle Eastern Syrian Salad or warm, crusty bread.
Yes. However, the cooking process is altered. Instead of removing the chicken from the crock pot, let it cook on low for six hours. Then, shred the chicken with two forks before serving.
Yes absolutely. The flavor won’t be as intense so I would eliminate the water and replace with chicken broth.
To freeze soup, start by bringing down the temperature quickly using an ice bath or placing outdoors if it’s below 40 degrees outside. Next, place in a resealable plastic bag and lay flat to freeze.
What are your favorite soup recipes? Any requests? Let me know!
Your spoon is waiting.
Chicken and Rice Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 large carrot peeled and diced
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups Smart Chicken Organic Bone Broth Classic Chicken flavor
- 4 cups water
- 1.5 pounds Smart Chicken boneless skinless breasts
- ½ cup long-grain enriched white rice uncooked
- fresh cilantro or parsley, jalapeno slices, lime wedges optional garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat and add in the minced garlic. Warm until fragrant, about 30 seconds, before adding in the onion, celery, carrot and red pepper. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste then saute until tender, about 7-8 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour Smart Chicken organic bone broth and water in the pot and bring to a boil. Sprinkle with another pinch of salt and pepper then reduce to a simmer. Add chicken breasts to the pot and cook until chicken is cooked through, about 12-14 minutes.
- Using tongs, carefully remove cooked chicken from the pot and place on a cutting board. Cut into bite-sized chunks before returning to the pot. Bring the mixture back to a boil then add rice plus another pinch of salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer until rice is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Check for seasoning and adjust before serving with optional garnishes.