We are hosting family in town from Boston this week so I decided to bake up a few goodies for everyone to enjoy. Brownies are one of my all time favorite treats, hands down. I don’t know about you but personally, I’ll take a chocolate brownie over a slice of apple pie any day of the week.
Confession: I love boxed brownies. There. I said it. (Hides.) In the past, I have made brownies from scratch – everything from basic recipes all the way to Ina Garten’s Outrageous Brownies. End result? Too sweet. Too much. Too rich. Today’s recipe is my perfect balance between naughty, delicious, and healthy.
Brownie Makeover Results
- Calories reduced from 200 to 135 per brownie.
- Vitamin A boosted from 0 to 70% of daily requirement in just one brownie.
- Total fat went from 6.5 g to 1.9 g per brownie.
- Saturdated fat reduced from 1.5 to .5 g per brownie.
Even better? After one bite, my sister in law said “These are delicious!”
Your family is waiting.
Pumpkin Chocolate Espresso Brownies
- 1 box brownie mix of choice
- 15 oz can 100% pure pumpkin
- 2 tbs instant coffee
- 2 tbs flax seed meal
- 1/2 c walnuts chopped optional
- 1 pinch salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray baking pan of choice with non-stick spray (I used 11 x 7).
- Using a rubber spatula, combine all ingredients in a medium bowl until smooth. (Mixture will appear dry at first but continue to stir until pumpkin is fully incorporated.)
- Spread mixture evenly into pan and bake according to package directions. Please note: you may need to cook a few minutes longer than instructed.
- Remove from oven when toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely before slicing and serving.