Shredded zucchini and carrots add moisture and sweetness to this healthy and delicious cocoa-rich bread.
Between my busy work/travel schedule and the long snowy days spent indoors, I have been cooking and baking up a storm over the weekends to get a head start on the week ahead. A freezer stocked with Chocolate Zucchini Carrot Bread gives me the warm and fuzzies all over. I love knowing I’m just 60 seconds away from a wholesome and delicious snack that is kid-friendly and adult approved!
When it comes to healthier baked goods, plain yogurt is my secret weapon to add moisture, protein and calcium. Shredded zucchini and carrots not only add a bit of sweetness but also add texture, vitamins and fiber. For a little crunch, I add toasted wheat germ which fills the bread with minerals and nutrients.
This recipe makes two loaves so I always save one to eat throughout the week and freeze the second. To freeze, simply slice the loaf into 12 slices then wrap individually in plastic wrap. Place wrapped slices in one large resealable plastic bag and lay flat to store in the freezer. To reheat, microwave for 45-60 seconds.
Want more ideas? Check out these other delicious baked goods made with plain yogurt:
Spiced Apple Cider Muffins from Savory Simple
Orange Vanilla Greek Yogurt Pancakes from Aggie’s Kitchen
Peanut Butter Banana Bread from Thrifty Veggie Mama
Pumpkin Yogurt Snack Cake from Bake Your Day
Honey Yogurt Waffles from Two Peas & Their Pod
Easy Strawberry & Yogurt Muffin Recipe from Cookin’ Canuck
Chocolate Cherry Breakfast Bars from All Day I Dream About Food
Pumpkin Spice Baked Donuts from The Lemon Bowl
Blueberry Oatmeal Bread from The Lemon Bowl
Your family is waiting.
Chocolate Zucchini Carrot Bread
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 3 eggs large
- 2/3 cup plain yogurt low fat
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and spray two 8 inch bread pans with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients (flour through baking powder).
- In a separate bowl, whisk together wet ingredients (zucchini through vanilla).
- Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir with rubber spatula until combined. Gently stir in chocolate chips then pour mixture evenly between both bread pans.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely before slicing with a serrated knife.