The first few spoonfuls of this meaty soup, enriched with potatoes, teff and kale, will have you dreaming of the warm sunshine of Spain and Portugal.
As a healthy living blogger, I frequently get comments and emails from readers looking for ingredient substitutions, recipe adaptations and cooking questions regarding gluten allergies. Although I don’t have a gluten allergy, I know how challenging it can be to navigate through a gluten free lifestyle.
I’ve been a Bob’s Red Mill Ambassador for years so when they invited me to give away a copy of their new cookbook, Everyday Gluten-Free, I was immediately on board.
You’ve probably noticed that the majority of my recipes are naturally gluten free which is one reason I love this book so much – these recipes are made with whole grains and other real-food ingredients that just so happen to be gluten free. The book is filled with simple, flavor-packed recipes like Middle Eastern Millet Salad, Miso Squash, Kale and Buckwheat Burritos, Banana Quinoa Muffins and so much more.
The Chorizo, Kale and Teff Soup that I’m sharing today is not only full of warm, Spanish flavors but it is made with teff, a whole grain. A staple in Ethiopian cuisine for centuries, it is not only the smallest grain in the world but one of the most nutritionally dense.
When paired with spicy chorizo, garlic and onions it turns into a mouth-watering bowl of soup ideal for busy weeknights. Leftovers taste even better, perfect for a hearty lunch the next day.
What is your favorite naturally gluten free recipe? I’d love to hear from you.
Your spoon is waiting.
Chorizo, Kale and Teff Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces GF cured chorizo or other smoked sausage
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 6 cups chopped kale (tough stems and center ribs removed)
- 3 diced peeled potatoes
- ⅓ cup teff
- 8 cups GF vegetable or chicken broth
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chorizo and cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes or until browned. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chorizo to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Add onions to the pot and cook, stirring, for 6 to 8 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and kale; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in potatoes, teff and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, leaving lid ajar, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes and teff are very tender. Use a wooden spoon to coarsely break up about half of the potatoes.
- Return chorizo to the pot and stir in tomatoes; simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 10 minutes or until soup is slightly thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Disclosure: I am honored to be a paid Bob’s Red Mill Ambassador. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible. All thoughts are my own.