This protein-packed slow cooker vegetarian curry recipe is made with chickpeas and sweet potatoes cooked in a rich and creamy Indian-spiced sauce.
Comfort food season is in full affect and when the weather is cold outside there is nothing I crave more than a warm bowl of Indian-spiced curry. Of course, truth be told, I use my Crock-Pot® slow cooker to make curry just as much in the warm months because I don’t have to turn on the oven!
While I typically make my Slow Cooker Chicken Curry recipe (which happens to be the all time most popular recipe on my website!), I also love skipping the meat and making vegetarian versions.
Protein-packed chickpeas and tender sweet potatoes come together perfectly in this meat-free curry recipe flavored with garam masala, curry powder and smoked paprika.
To cool it down for my boys just before serving, I like to top it with a dollop of plain yogurt but that is completely optional. Pomegranate seeds add a touch of sweetness and a crunchy texture but it’s equally delicious without them. Want it a bit spicier? Serve with Sriracha.
Your fork is waiting.
Crock-Pot® Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chickpea Curry
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 cups canned chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce tomato sauce or pureed tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth low sodium
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- plain yogurt, pomegranate seeds and cilantro optional garnish
- brown rice to serve - optional
- Place the sweet potato cubes and chickpeas in the Crock-Pot® slow cooker insert.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together tomato sauce, vegetable broth, coconut milk, curry powder, garam masala, smoked paprika, salt and cayenne. Pour mixture over the sweet potatoes and chickpeas.
- Cook in Crock-Pot® slow cooker and on High for 2 hours of Low for 4 hours.
Photography by Alejandro Photography // Recipe by The Lemon Bowl
Disclosure: I am honored to be a Brand Ambassador for Crock-Pot® brand. For more delicious slow cooker recipes, click here! Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible. All thoughts are my own.
See more of my slow cooker recipes on my Pinterest board!