This protein-packed slow cooker vegetarian curry recipe is made with chickpeas and sweet potatoes cooked in a rich and creamy Indian-spiced sauce.
Comfort food season is in full affect and when the weather is cold outside there is nothing I crave more than a warm bowl of Indian-spiced curry. Of course, truth be told, I use my Crock-Pot® slow cooker to make curry just as much in the warm months because I don’t have to turn on the oven!
While I typically make my Slow Cooker Chicken Curry recipe (which happens to be the all time most popular recipe on my website!), I also love skipping the meat and making vegetarian versions.
Protein-packed chickpeas and tender sweet potatoes come together perfectly in this meat-free curry recipe flavored with garam masala, curry powder and smoked paprika.
To cool it down for my boys just before serving, I like to top it with a dollop of plain yogurt but that is completely optional. Pomegranate seeds add a touch of sweetness and a crunchy texture but it’s equally delicious without them. Want it a bit spicier? Serve with Sriracha.
Your fork is waiting.
Crock-Pot® Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chickpea Curry
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 cups canned chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce tomato sauce or pureed tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth low sodium
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- plain yogurt, pomegranate seeds and cilantro optional garnish
- brown rice to serve - optional
- Place the sweet potato cubes and chickpeas in the Crock-Pot® slow cooker insert.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together tomato sauce, vegetable broth, coconut milk, curry powder, garam masala, smoked paprika, salt and cayenne. Pour mixture over the sweet potatoes and chickpeas.
- Cook in Crock-Pot® slow cooker and on High for 2 hours of Low for 4 hours.
Photography by Alejandro Photography // Recipe by The Lemon Bowl