Cilantro. Love it? Hate it? If you are on Team Cilantro like I am, you and your family will love this black bean dip. My favorite part? If you “accidentally” eat half the bowl, you are only down a few hundred nutritious calories. All you do is throw everything into a food processor and you are well on your way to a quick and tasty party favorite. Serve with blue corn tortilla chips, carrot sticks or on the side of a quesadilla. Busy day? Make it the night before a party. Busy week? Make it on Sunday and eat it throughout the week when you’re desperate for a healthy snack.
Need a few more reasons to make this dip? Black beans are a fabulous addition to your diet:
- Good source of dietary fiber.
- Black beans have more antioxidants, gram per gram, than any other bean. (Runner up? Red.)
- High in folate which is especially important for pregnant women as it aids in the proper development of the fetus and spinal cord.
- Contain Anthocyanins – a powerful phytonutrient that protects cells from oxidative damage caused by free radicals.
- Good source of B6 which is known to protect against heart disease.
- Great source of protein – minus the cholesterol and saturated fat.
These websites reiterate the benefits behind Black Beans:
- Black beans: Health benefits, facts, and research
Easy Black Bean Dip
- 14 oz can of black beans
- 1 c salsa
- ½ tbs cumin
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbs lemon or lime juice
- ½ c cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Remove beans from can and rinse in a strainer until water runs clear, removing all canning liquid.
- Place beans in a food processor or blender.
- Add all remaining ingredients (salsa, cumin, garlic, lemon or lime juice and cilantro). Process until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with fresh chopped cilantro for garnish.