A fast and easy chicken parm recipe, these tender and juicy chicken cutlets are coated in parmesan and crispy panko breadcrumbs.
We are traveling to Boston next month for my husband's 40th birthday and I couldn't be more excited to spend time with family and friends! My husband grew up in Boston and that's where we first started dating back in 2001 when I was a senior at Boston University.
One of our favorite date nights was and remains a visit to the North End for an authentic Italian meal. Inevitably, my husband always orders the chicken parm which is traditionally deep friend, overly salted and way too greasy. My version uses lower calorie but higher flavor shredded parmesan right in the panko crust to ensure that each juicy bite is packed with flavor.
You can serve these chicken cutlets over whole wheat pasta but I love eating them on their own over a bed of spicy arugula tossed in lemon juice and olive oil.
What are your favorite Italian comfort foods? Are there any you'd like to see me lighten up a bit? Let me know!
Your fork is waiting.
Parmesan Crusted Chicken
- 3 six ounce - boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup shredded parmesan
- ¼ cup minced Italian parsley
- 1 clove garlic (grated)
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes + additional to serve (optional)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- marinara sauce (to serve)
- Pound out chicken breasts until they are 1/4 inch thick using a meat tenderizer. Sprinkle each side with salt and pepper; set aside.
- Whisk together eggs in a shallow glass baking dish and set aside.
- In a second shallow baking dish, mix together panko, parmesan, parsley, garlic and chili flakes.
- Working one breast at a time, lightly dip the chicken into the eggs and then press both sides firmly into the parmesan panko mixture so that the chicken is completely coated in cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Heat the olive oil in a non-stick pan over medium high heat. Sauté until chicken is golden brown and firm to the touch, about 3 minutes per side.
- Serve with additional chili flakes and marinara sauce for dipping.
For more Healthy and Easy Dinner Ideas, check out my Pinterest page!