Growing up, salad was always a staple on our family’s dinner table. Whether it was a traditional Middle Eastern green salad with lemon, garlic and mint or a simple platter of tomatoes, onions and blue cheese crumbles, we always had salad with dinner. Of course, having salad with dinner is certainly not a new concept. I do, however, want to encourage you to think outside the box when it comes to a side salad by sharing a few of my Simple Salad Strategies:
- Skip the Bottled Dressings: Instead of paying top dollar for mostly fillers, added sodium and corn syrup I highly recommend making your own dressing. There is no need to whisk the dressing in a separate bowl – just drizzle the ingredients on top of the greens and mix. Everyone will be fine.
- Salad Dressing Formula: Oil (olive, sesame, canola, etc.) + Acid (lemon, balsamic, rice vinegar, etc.) + Flavorings (garlic, fresh herbs, salt, etc.) = Happy Salad
- Lettuce Not Required: Towards the end of the week, I almost always run out of lettuce. Instead, make a salad-free village salad full of just veggies! At the end of the day, nothing beats a platter of tomatoes with plenty of sea salt.
Your fork is waiting.
- 2 large tomatoes diced
- 2 celery stalks thinly sliced
- 4 radishes thinly sliced
- 1/2 avocado peeled and cubed
- 1/4 c fresh herbs (ie parsley, basil, mint, etc.)
- 1 juice of lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and toss well. The avocado will break down and create a lush and creamy dressing along with the lemon, herbs, salt and pepper.