This hearty winter salad is filled with chewy farro, roasted butternut squash, sweet pomegranate and tangy goat cheese. The ultimate whole grain side dish recipe!
Whenever I roast butternut squash I like to make a double batch to use later in the week in a hearty, whole grain salad. You can also toss it on a pizza, fold it into pasta and more.
The glory of whole grain salads is that you can use any grain you have on hand such as freekeh, quinoa, spelt, or even brown rice!
I happened to roast butternut squash with curry powder earlier in the week but feel free to roast it with any spices you wish such as cinnamon, cayenne or just salt and pepper.
Next, it’s time to build in lots of flavor and textures with different ingredients. Scallions, fresh herbs, juicy pomegranate and creamy goat cheese all balance one another out leading to a super delicious, flavorful salad.
For added nuttiness and crunch, I like to quickly toast my pistachios in a dry pan for 2-3 minutes before roughly chopping. If you don’t have pistachios on hand try using walnuts or pecans.
While fresh mint isn’t expected, it adds a bright, fresh flavor to this hearty farro and butternut squash salad. If you don’t have it on hand, no worries just skip it.
What would you mix into this hearty, winter salad? I’d love to hear from you.
Your fork is waiting.
Farro Salad with Butternut Squash, Pomegranate and Goat Cheese
- 2 cups farro cooked according to package instructions
- 2 cups Curry Roasted Butternut Squash follow recipe instructions here
- 4 ounces goat cheese crumbled
- ¼ cup pistachios shelled, toasted and chopped
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 cup green onions minced
- ½ cup parsley minced
- ¼ cup mint minced
- 1 lemon juiced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine cooked farro with all remaining ingredients (roasted squash through salt and pepper.) Toss well and adjust for seasoning if needed with added salt and pepper. Serve warm, cool or room temperature.
Find more satisfying salad recipe ideas on my Pinterest!