Fava Beans combined with shaved fennel and radish create a delicious salad for all to enjoy.
In honor of the warm weather, I am sharing a delicious salad recipe made with bright, green fava beans (also known as broad beans.) You’ve probably seen them sprouting up at your farm stand – they come in long, thick pea pods and look like gigantic green beans. Similar to English peas, you need to shell them before you can prepare them.
One catch: you have to shell them twice! Once they are boiled, you will have to remove the outer layer to reveal the tender, sweet fava bean. For a simple and easy guide on preparing fava beans, check out this easy to follow guide on Tori Avri’s website..
It’s worth the time, I promise. Get the kids involved! It’s fun and it’s a sign of Spring (and Summer!)
Your fork is waiting.
Fava Bean Salad With Radish and Shaved Fennel
- 2 c fava beans prepared
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb shaved or thinly sliced
- 4 radishes thinly sliced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1/4 c fresh mint minced
- 2 tbs fresh basil julienned
- salt and pepper to taste
- To prepare fava beans, check out this amazing step-by-step guide on Tori Avey’s website. They only take a few minutes to cook but you may want to recruit the kids to help you shell and peel – it’s fun!
- Once cooked, add fava beans to a medium bowl and combine with red onion, fennel and radishes.
- Drizzle with olive oil, lemon juice, mint, basil and salt/pepper to taste.